We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
California
Level Contributor
714 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

My daughter is getting married in Puerto Vallarta next June. She had hoped to stay at Dreams but that won't be happening and we need a replacement. Some relatives really want to stay at an AI while others (like me) don't so we'd like to stay somewhere where AI is optional. A couple people can't walk up many stairs (and one can't walk very much even on a level surface) so we can't stay anywhere that would involve many stairs. I had been thinking of Playa Los Arcos which gets good reviews here on the forum but some not so good reviews in the hotel section.

I'd be happy to hear any and all recommendations.

Thanks!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,813 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

Some other AI optional are Sunset Plaza, Villa Premiere, Buenaventura and Sheraton. There are some others but can't think of them off the top of my head.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

Hotel Playa Los Arcos should definitely not be considered in the same ballpark as Dreams. Dreams is a resort, Playa Los Arcos a small, "resort-style" hotel.

As senorbobo has said, Villa Premiere, and others out in the Hotel Zone might provide good considerations.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
9,830 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

Hi there!

I am at Playa Los Arcos right now! This is the hotel I like to stay in while in PV. It offers AI and NON AI. For me, I don't like AI because there are so many great restaurants just as you walk out the front hotel entrance.....all at your finger tips. You will love it here. I have heard the AI is a very good price tho for others that request that. The servers from the restaurant also serve us on the beach and we pay as we go or can keep a tab and pay in the end. There are elevators on each side of the hotel to get to the rooms if needed. There also are stairs. The stairs are a bit different in the fact they are wide and not deep, so your step "up" doesn't seem so big on each step you take. The hotel has done some renovations and have popped out a side of their building to make a taco place but have changed their minds on the taco idea now and are constructing a special place for people to dine. Not sure when that will be ready. Also a new area I've noticed is a new nice service bar over in the corner at one end of the pool. They have told me that it will be for AI customers on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

We are sitting in the restaurant right now underneath the fans and enjoying the mariachi band that is playing softly to a group of people in the corner.... as well as listening to the water cascade down a waterfall rock place at the end of the pool area.

If you have any more questions, I'm sure others will chime in.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,389 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

The only other AI/non on the southside that I know of is the San Marino Plaza, and Casa Dona Susana offers an AI at Los Arcos.

In the marina area:

Velas Vallarta, Marriott and Westin

North of downtown in the hotel zone, in addition to the hotels listed above:

Krystal, Holiday Inn, Villa del Palmar, Pelicanos, Villas Vallarta, Canto del Sol

Hotels south of town:

Garza Blanca, Grand Miramar, Costa Sur and the Best Western

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,947 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

Excellent list, JNS ---- now we need to know more of the range of what the guests might be expecting because if they thought they were going to Dreams, they likely would be unhappy at someplace like Villas Vallarta. I sure feel for the OP. Big job to choose, having stayed at some of those places in the last few weeks or recent past.

If the guests were expecting Dreams, maybe something on your south-of-town list would be best for them, although we stayed at Krystal and Westin very recently?

Edited: 6:56 pm, November 20, 2013
California
Level Contributor
714 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

Thank you for all the suggestion!

The only people ecpecting Dreams were mt daughter and future SIL. I do not think any of the guests have been to Puerto Vallarta.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,947 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

OK, Jaime --- now we're getting down to business.

Do you have a location for the wedding in June or would it be dependent on finding the place first?

I've attended weddings in Puerto Vallarta (well, sorta ---- I was a guest in the hotel then, but didn't know the bride and groom....we just watched) at three resorts: Sunset Plaza Beach, Krystal and Villa del Palmar. All were very well done, were beautiful ceremonies and all are on the list of places that might work for your guests as far as AI and non-AI.

It might help us if you would let us know if the wedding would be at the same resort or if you needed to be in a certain part of town. The weddings at Krystal and Villa del Palmar were on the beach. Gorgeous. The wedding at Sunset Plaza Beach was not on the beach but on the raised area between the rock jetties ---- a little more awkward. It was a full blown Mexican wedding with about 100 people, with the women wearing 5-inch heels. How they did that in the sand amazed us. Your relatives that are mobility impaired would have a problem, guaranteed.

How many relatives and have they told you what they want in accommodations? Sunset Plaza Beach and Villa del Palmar have elevators. Krystal is very spread out and might be a challenge for mobility impaired folks.

It would help to know if your daughter's wedding would be in the same place or if the accommodations (AI and non-AI) need to be nearby.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,814 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

I have been working extensively with Playa Los Arcos as my son is getting married there. Here's the thing..... most everywhere you call that offers AI or non- AI will NOT let you use the option if you're working on a special rate for a group. They make you choose one or the other for everyone...which is what PLA does, and to make matters more difficult...some optional AI resorts will only let you choose AI.

This problem is solved if you aren't trying to get a group rate for the guests, they can just book themselves and choose AI or Non AI.

Having said all that, we have finally finally finally!! whew.... decided to choose AI at PLA for our guests. It is only a buffet, plus snack bar and alcohol, but it is DIRT cheap with reasonable alcohol brands, and we have a lot of just starting out young people wanting to attend, so now they know they will eat....and I know they'll have enough money to also go out.

The prices at PLA for a group will be way way less than Dreams, but you are also getting a much simpler resort, but then you get everything town offers.

Edited: 8:01 pm, November 20, 2013
California
Level Contributor
714 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

Oh, yes, telling you about the wedding would help. That is already settled. It will be at Las Caletas. It will be a small wedding - maybe 50 people. We just need a place for everybody to stay at before and after the wedding. Some of the guests are on limited budgets - but they are also some of the people who want to stay at an AI.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,947 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you recommend a place that offers both AI & non AI?

That helps a ton, Jaime. Also, I assume you mean all the guests are on their own for lodging/meals/beverages, except at the wedding itself on the beach?

Is there an age range for the guests and do all the guests know each other? The reason I ask that is that it could make a difference if your 50 guests were somewhere (traveling separately) or if they want to hang out in a family/community group all together.

Even though I've stayed at some of the places recommended, including Playa Los Arcos and Canto del Sol and Krystal and Villa del Palmar and others more high-end (like Westin and Sunset Plaza), I'm wondering if all your guests would like to be at the same place or if they split up, based on their budget, would they like to be near each other?

I ask this as some places (like Sunset Beach --- more high-end) are near other places (like Canto del Sol -- less high-end) and they could visit each other. I've stayed at most of the places recommended but have never done AI. Makes it hard to recommend an AI place, even though I could give you a lot of information on the hotels themselves.

Would it make a difference if your guests wanted to be near the Maritime Terminal or wherever you are getting everyone's transport to Las Caletas?

So many questions. But, then again, you have 50 people wanting to have a nice time in attending your daughter's wedding and you all want perfect memories --- so I have to ask. Others probably do also.

===============

If you want a nice resort that might be "medium-ground," and have the mobility issues covered, I'd recommend Villa del Palmar. If you want two levels of resort (high and not so high) close to each other, I'd recommend Sunset Plaza Beach for the high-end folks and a neighbor resort (Canto del Sol) for the ones watching their budget.

I've stayed at all but, as said, have not done AI at any. JNS has the expertise on that so I hope he weighs in again, on what you've told us. At least this will give you some places to start. Fortunately June is down the road and it's not High-Season so you have time to research.

Hope this has helped.