We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank Cards

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Regina
Level Contributor
60 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bank Cards

Is anyone having trouble using their Royal Bank ATM cards recently?

A friend was told at his branch that they will not work in Mexico in the very near future.

Hope this is bad info- got reservations for Feb.

Keswick, Canada
Level Contributor
834 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank Cards

Sure hope not Nick but was considering changing to Scotia to save on fees! See ya real soon!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank Cards

I just used my Royal Bank ATM card numerous times in Mexico with no problems. This was mid October for 11 days, so on various dates and machines.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,179 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank Cards

I will just note that in PV as of November 5th there were ATMs that were not connecting to networks of Canadian banks. I was there for 22 days and over the course of my trip that did not change. The only ATMs that there were no network connection issues were Scotiabank, and the stand-alone Cashola machines around town. Banorte and Santander both had this issue.

I don't bank with RBC any longer, however if it was happening with one Canadian bank it may - stress MAY - happen with others. Just use the ATMs noted and you shouldn't have a problem.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank Cards

On our 2013 January and February trip, we (and numerous people) could not use our debit cards with chip in the Banamex, Banorte and Santender ATM's. Message was that they could not connect to our banks. We were only able to use Scotia Bank and HSBC (did not try Cashola).

Richard

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bank Cards

In Jan. 2013 we did have numerous ATM problems all over PV (many different ones, big PIA) with our bank cards (RBC and Scotia), but in the mayan this Oct. had no problem at the Santander and Banamex banks ATM's with our RBC card.

Puerto Vallarta...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bank Cards

What the ATM at Costco?

Puerto Vallarta...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bank Cards

What about I meant to say.

8. Re: Bank Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta