We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Gibraltar
7 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

Hello!

We're going for cruise and we have to choose either Puerto Vallerta or San Sebastian. I googled for some information and I feel really struggled now as I would like to visit both places. Please! Could some of you who are experienced with these places give me advise? Many thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

Purto Vallarta is a city with about 250,000 people San Sebastian is a cute village of 600-700 people.Apples and Oranges no comparison since they are 2 totally different experiences

2. Re: Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:36 pm, November 10, 2013
Gibraltar
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

Thank you guys for your responses. Yes, I go with liner and I have to choose either 4,5 hours in Vallarta or 6,5 hours trip to Sebastian. I know that the comparison is almost impossible. I simply just don't know how to decide :(

4. Re: Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:37 pm, November 10, 2013
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

San Sebastian, a former mining town located up in the mountains, could be a nice change of scene if you're spending a lot of time at beach places during the rest of the cruise. Having said that, Puerto Vallarta has a lot to offer, and is a special place that really shouldn't be missed. Another consideration is that although San Sebastian might be interesting and worth the drive to some, anybody who has spent time in mountain towns in places like Peru, Ecuador & Colombia likely wouldn't be all that impressed.

United States
Level Contributor
9,602 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

I would pick Puerto Vallarta. Stroll the Malecon, visit Guadalupe Church and have a meal in old town. It will be quick but oh so worth it!

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,602 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

if you have never been to pv---I would spend your time there. explore centro, southside, los muertos, walk the area. here's what will happen.

YOU WILL WANT TO COME BACK!!!

then--staying longer, you can do what some of the rest of us do---go to places like san Sebastian, el tuito etc. they are lovely.

I think if you visit san Sebastian on this trip---you will spend 4 hours on a bus and have very little time off of it. that can be tolling after being on the ship. a lot of transportation imo.

whatever you choose---have a blast

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
917 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

If money is a consideration it will be much less expensive to stay in Puerto Vallarta and explore the city on your own versus taking an excursion to San Sebastian. PV is a wonderful, safe place to explore and it is very inexpensive to get from the ship into town.

Of course it does depend on what intrigues you about San Sebastian. Is there something there that you think you would really enjoy seeing? I have not visited there but plan to on our upcoming land vacation so I agree it looks like a nice place to visit.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,694 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

You're obviously interested in both places (which are totally different, as others have indicated) but it would help to know where else you are going on your cruise and how long you will be in port.

You're from Gibralter which is a very unique place. Puerto Vallarta is also a very unique place. It's not just another beach town. Having been going to PV for 30 years (and 3 of my trips were on a cruise line), it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me (unless you're in port overnight) to get on a bus for a couple of hours to walk around a small mining village established in 1605. If you've been on a ship for awhile, you're going to want to get out and walk, not spend all your time on a bus. Puerto Vallarta is one of the world's best walking towns.

The beauty of San Sebastian is mostly for travelers to Puerto Vallarta who want to get off the beach scene for awhile and spend a day or two in the mountains. For a quick trip up the mountain, on a cruise ship, it doesn't make much sense (without knowing more information, of course).

Have fun.

birkenhead
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Vallerta vs. San Sebastian

Just a few hours in town? Discover PV. Im thinking you speak Spanish so you will have a blast. Take a lot of info from this forum & put it to good use. Start off @ Sea Monkey (very expensive LOL) then discover a great area by foot.