We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the weather in the middle of December?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
san francisco
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
How is the weather in the middle of December?

Planning on traveling to Puerto Vallarta and was wondering if it still warm during December? we are looking at 17-24th

thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the weather in the middle of December?

It's always warm. What is your idea of warm? I see you are from San Francisco, and December in San Francisco is heavenly to me, but I'm from Chicago. Sounds like a silly question, but everyone has their own idea of what "warm" is. It is certainly not oppressively hot or humid that time of year in PV. It's in the low '80's on average. IMHO, it is perfect. :)

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Vancouver
Level Contributor
998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the weather in the middle of December?

I was there once over Christmas...don't know if it was typical, but my experience was:

Early morning to about 10 am...rather coolish ( sweater/ jacket needed).

During the day low to mid eighties. Very pleasant beach weather.

When the sun went down around 6:30...back to a sweater/ jacket.

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the weather in the middle of December?

It's pretty much always "still warm" in PV year-round. The times I've been down in December the weather has been gorgeous. Just perfect really. Not too hot, not too cold, plenty of sun.

suze

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the weather in the middle of December?

it has been 80ish during Christmas week. I hate to say it but I've been bringing down a sweater every December and have never used it in the morning or evening (only once on a rooftop Nye.)

it cracks me up that hubby and me are half naked and the locals are runnin around in long sleeves or those Michelin man coats.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the weather in the middle of December?

It cracks me up that people bring sweaters in Dec

I leave my gloves, sweaters, and long underwear at home.

Edited: 10:24 pm, October 10, 2013
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the weather in the middle of December?

PV temps for Mid December are 27C / 16C

wunderground.com/history/…calendar

San Francisco for late August early Sept 23C / 13C

wunderground.com/history/…calendar

So a lot warmer in PV during December than San Francisco in August/Sept.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the weather in the middle of December?

I usually don't bring warm clothes for December , but last year I found the weather to be much cooler than in previous years. New Year's Day 2013, was cold and rainy, and I ended up in long pants and a sweat shirt, so this year I'm coming prepared for a little chill. It's easy to throw in some leggings and a couple of long sleeve shirts just in case I need them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the weather in the middle of December?

Warm is relative.I had some Mexican visitors in July.It was Sunny and in the 80 s and everybody was in shorts and T-Shirts.The Mexicans were in jackets because of the"cold"

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,863 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the weather in the middle of December?

It's all about the the breeze in the evening. I always have a thin jersey hoodie with me because that's what I use on the plane. I have definitely used it in the winter months in the evening. It's all about the breeze and being next to the ocean mostly. I have walked along the Malecon at night and once in awhille the wind is cold and strong, so I'm glad I have my little hoodie. Inland though, you may not notice a breeze at all.

Mentioned in this post
Malecon
Malecon
566 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How is the weather in the middle of December?

For being on fast boats and rushing across the water, I have been known to use my light weight jacket and....yes..."earmuffs" in December in PV. Also used a light jacket in the evening....but this was later in the evening and close to the water. During the daytime, if we were further "IN".....it was really warm with not a breeze in sight. So Kansas is correct in saying.... In being closer to the water. Look for the breeze. It's all about the breeze.