We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

special birthday dinner?!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
special birthday dinner?!!

hola all, husband and I will be there in oct. for our birthdays... any suggestions on where to go for something special but not "stuffy" or CRAZY expensive... anyone have thoughts about the "tasting" menu at café des artistes? senor mr. pepe's ? we will be staying at los arcos suites, so south side or central please... thank you for your kind help. ;o) deb

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: special birthday dinner?!!

When in PV our special occasions are usually celebrated at Teatro Limón. Call Bruce ahead of time, I'm sure he'd do a tasting menu for you, or tell him what you'd like, as long as the ingredients are available he's generally open to special requests. It is not inexpensive, but not crazy expensive. It is an experience you won't forget ;-)

http://www.teatrolimon.com/

Edited: 10:22 pm, September 15, 2013
Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: special birthday dinner?!!

Hacienda San Angel is truly a very special dining experience . For something a little more moderate I would suggest the terrace dining area at No Way Jose. The have a great menu, setting , service & food,

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: special birthday dinner?!!

We've enjoyed a few birthday celebration dinners right there in the area where youll be staying. Cafe Olla's seafood combo platter for two was perfect. Reservations accepted and advised.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: special birthday dinner?!!

Something special but not "Stuffy" is Teatro Limon to a tee. Is it "CRAZY" expensive? That's relative. By PV standards some would say it is, but compared to home standards its fine. I agree with Teduardo that it would be a good idea to contact Bruce via email to let him know your coming and that its your Anniversary.

Keep in mind that Teatro Limon is a very interactive place. If you prefer to keep to yourselves during dinner it may not be right for you. Being in Bruce's interactive concept is what makes Teatro Limon a special memorable experience.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: special birthday dinner?!!

You will probably get 500 recommendations of places to go for a birthday dinner. Most of the places people recommend are great. And the price range will be all over the map. I'll just say that my wife likes to go to Coco Tropical for her birthday dinner. Has for many years. Great food, great service, ocean side, and moderate prices. Also they have a terrific happy hour. You can even take advantage of the happy hour while dining. Wherever you go, I know you'll enjoy!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,873 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: special birthday dinner?!!

Hacienda San Angel gets my vote every time

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: special birthday dinner?!!

I'll just note for the OP that you mention somewhere "not crazy expensive", but you listed Café des Artistes...which is one of the most expensive restaurants in town. So, I'm not sure where you land on the budget spectrum after that, but the recommendations given are nice ones.

I'll add Vista Grill, or La Playita at the Lindo Mar Resort for nice "view" dining for special occasions. I'd also recommend Casa Isabel, except that you don't say when you're going in October and they don't open for the season until after mid-month (same with Coco Tropical - it's usually sometime after the 15th of the month for them, but no specific date).

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,194 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: special birthday dinner?!!

I had dinner at Coco's Kitchen last year for my birthday. It was perfect. It's not cheap but not crazy expensive (coconut shrimp entree was 220p and lovely). It's a patio garden setting, very sweet place.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,047 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: special birthday dinner?!!

Lots of great ideas here! As much as I love La Playita, Cocos Kitchen, and Coco Tropical, I have to agree that Teatro Limon would be perfect.

Bruce loves celebrations! The food is fabulous. It is expensive, but even my exceedingly frugal spouse thinks it's an excellent value. He likes to have his birthday dinner at Teatro Limon-two times. He thinks he should have two dinners there because I would spend twice that much taking him to dinner at home.

California
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: special birthday dinner?!!

Another vote for Teatro Limon! Not just a fabulous meal but, something you will always remember.

Edited: 1:40 pm, September 16, 2013