We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary questions - long

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
272 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary questions - long

I'm a planner by nature and this is my first trip to PV so I want to make sure I allocate the right amount of time to fully enjoy the sights, sounds, tastes of this seemingly diverse city. We arrive Friday, November 29 (so figured that would be getting the lay of the land around our condo, Mayan Palace Marina, a few groceries, etc.) Here's what I have planned:

Saturday, November 30

10:00 AM Farmer’s Market/shopping

12:00 PM Cruise ship in port

5:00 PM Rhythms of the Night tour (instead of Tuesday)

7:00 PM Cruise ship departs

Sunday, December 1

8:00 AM Cruise ship in port

10:00 AM Arrive at PV Zoo

1:00 PM Beaches in Mismaloya

5:00 PM Cruise ship departs

5:30 PM Dinner at Tony’s

Monday, December 2

TBD Outdoor adventure

Tuesday, December 3

5:00 PM Rhythms of the Night Tour (or Saturday night)

Wednesday, December 4

9:00 AM Cruise ship in port

9:00 PM Cruise ship departs

Thursday, December 5

TBD Las Mareitas Islands Eco Tour

Friday, December 6

10:00 AM Hotel check-out

10:30 AM Arrive at new hotel, request early check-in earlier in week

Saturday, December 7

12:00 PM Hotel check-out :-(

Am I trying to cram too many excursions into one trip (that is short to most of you guys but long for me)? Friday, December 6 I know we won't leave our resort as we're doing AI and really wanted a day of nothing before we returned to reality.

If it's helpful 2 women, late 30's/40 and it's our annual birthday trip. Last year we did Grand Cayman but the excursions weren't as diverse as they are here, nor was there a tour company offering 3 for 2... I REALLY want to do Rhythms of the Night and the Eco Tour and my friend really wants to do the zoo so we are cramming in the outdoor adventure for the 'deal'. Is that worth it?

I feel as though we have enough time, even with those excursions, to fully explore all that PV has to offer, like the Malecon, south side restaurants, etc. There are several restaurants that are already on the list to hit such as Mariscos Polo, No Way Jose! thanks to the input from those on TA and my research of must have foods (for example, No Way Jose that has the Caesar salad that my friend wants to try)... MAYBE I should think about moving Rhythm of the Night to a different day so we can do the Tuesday meet up?

I'm aware that plans are fluid and dynamic but I like an itinerary when I travel somewhat (nature of my job) so I'm seeking out the PV gurus to help plan my vacation! :-) Any input/feedback would be most helpful.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary questions - long

Please explain what the Cruise Ship in port and departs, mean. Check the dates for the Saturday Farmers' Market to make sure they are open.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary questions - long

Could you explain all the references to the cruise ships? Are you planning to be there to watch them come and go?

I don't think three excursions in a week plus the zoo is too much at all for active people. But you will never have time to hit all the good restaurants in town, so pick a few key ones in advance, and just leave a few other meal slots open for spur of the moment choices.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
272 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary questions - long

Sorry about the cruise ship stuff... I was really noting it for when I would or wouldn't want to do something based on cruise ship passengers being in town. I LOVE cruising but man, those crowds kill me sometimes... So I don't want to book a trip that has the potential of 1.5k plus wanting to do it too... :-)

Website for Farmers Market said November - July, 10 am.

edited to say thanks for the quick responses! :-)

Edited: 10:15 am, September 05, 2013
wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary questions - long

Being that this trip will be your first to Puerto Vallarta, I would not try and cram so many excursions into your trip. Take some time to venture the city. Meet and talk to the locals here. Enjoy your surroundings. Listen to people at the pool or beach, they all have great places to eat and to see. Too me it sounds like you will be so busy doing things, that you will miss the greatest asset of PV. It's people. But that's just my opinion. Everyone has a different taste. Whatever you do, enjoy!

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary questions - long

Ok, I get the cruise ship references, and that's a good idea, because it really does have an impact on the number of people everywhere. I noted in the chart posted in another thread that on one of my vacation days, we'll have 3 ships and 7500 people.

Your restaurant choices are good. I had a yellow fin tuna special at Polo's in February that was so delicious, and only 190 pesos.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,386 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary questions - long

I'm just wondering with the itinerary you posted, when you've scheduled time to see PV? Most of the excursions you're planning will be outside the city which would leave you little to no time to discover what makes PV such a special place to go.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary questions - long

The cruise ships only affect a few regular tours, they don't 'crowd' the town, they are mostly 'herded' about in AC Busses :)

Rhythms of the Night is leaving at 7pm right now, might change by one hour when the clocks change on Oct 27th.

Looks good to me :)

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
272 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary questions - long

PVJenny, I can see where that could be interpreted, but there are days we don't have anything planned or if we do, it's during the afternoon so there's time to explore and eat our way, somewhat, through PV. I didn't want to be so detail oriented that I picked what night we'd have dinner where, when we'd leave the resort to go to the Malecon, etc. i'm trying to get something together for my friend so she can see how much we're trying to pack into the trip and maybe pick the ONE thing that's our excursion. Like I'd give up Rhythms of the Night to do the Eco only because of the opportunity to see whales (even though I love the idea of open bar/food/show for the price - because that's pretty darn affordable but then I can easily lose the outdoor adventure tour). So you're input is really helpful here (she will do whatever as long as she gets to go to the zoo and play with baby kitties) because it's forced me to step back and take a breath. Because there's times I'm going to want to be lazy for sure. :-)

JR, that's helpful regarding the cruise ships (and thankfully there's only one in port at a time when i'm there).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,386 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary questions - long

The majority of cruise ship passengers will also be likely to inhabit the tours if they aren't on the "cattle cars". Land and sea tours, primarily. Avoid the Malecon as well during the daytime when a ship is in port - not only will they be brought there to shop, there are always stores that "welcome" them...by bumping prices. (-;

You mention whales in your last posting...while I think you may see them in the bay, the official whale watching season I believe doesn't start until after you have left PV so you wouldn't be able to take a specific tour for that. It's usually around December 8th that the season begins.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
272 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary questions - long

Thanks for the input. Figured the days they are in town would be a good time to avoid the Malecon (I have my itinerary typed up in a word document that will go with me so I'll remember when they are there). When on 7 Mile beach last year, I had people warn us that we'd be charged for the beach chairs, etc. but we'd been there for 4 days already so they treated us like locals and didn't charge us since we weren't cruise ship passengers :-) So I love how they 'welcome' them here too! There's something to be said for the land vacation!

I'm not counting on seeing whales on the tour, just figured it would be one where it might be a possibility... And of course it starts the day after we leave (and on my birthday no less!!!) ;-)

I'm far more active and like getting away from the resort than my friend so once she's done with a couple of upcoming events, I'm going to send my itinerary to her and we can flesh it out but it's so nice to have input from the experts and locals before I get that far with her because she will follow my lead but will want more lazy time at the condo than I... BUT our previous vacations have been in the Caribbean or Riviera Maya so this may be different since the waters/beaches are different (I've warned her it's not the clear Caribbean water she's used to) and the city is so vibrant and walking/bus friendly.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta