We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sayulita or Yelepa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sayulita or Yelepa

We will be making our first trip to PV 10/4-10/12. Looking at doing a day trip to either Sayulita (I do enjoy surfing) or Yelepa as I really love the idea of visiting a more primitive and isolated location. We are torn! Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
975 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sayulita or Yelepa

You are there for nine days. Do both. Both areas are great for different reasons. PS The water taxi to Yelapa is fun in itself.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,393 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sayulita or Yelepa

Yelapa and Sayulita are so different. I've been to both and Sayulita is not unique in the way that Yelapa is. Sayulita is a cute beachy town. Yelapa is a village in a jungle covered mountain setting on the coast. Yelapa is truly isolated, very interesting since everyone gets around by horse, sometimes a 4 wheeler, but mainly by their own two feet. Sayulita is just a cute little tourist town in Mexico as compared to Yelapa.

In Yelapa, the casas are unique and cute. It feels especially tropical and there are mostly natural rustic places to stay. Tourists, long term travelers and ex-pats have brought a hippie vibe to both places. It would be great if you can visit both, but Yelapa is really not to be missed if you need to make a choice.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
975 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sayulita or Yelepa

I agree with Kansas...if you have to choose.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sayulita or Yelepa

I would say Sayulita

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,246 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sayulita or Yelepa

Yelapa. My all time favorite!

NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sayulita or Yelepa

I think you can easily do both in a 9 day trip IMO

Sayulita...Hippie, surfer beach in Mexico. Good taco joints and a few fish restaurants. Great for surfing.

Yelapa, take a nice boat ride to get there and nice scenic drive to the boat. Nice water for swimming, cute beach restaurants. Several other beaches near Yelapa that i really enjoy. Again, try to do both and then take the other 6-7 days to relax.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sayulita or Yelepa

If you only want to do only one because you don't want to miss beach time, you should do both because you can do all the beach time you want in both places.

Sayulita with lots of action and Yelepa with lots of quiet.

"Funman"

Edited: 12:53 pm, September 05, 2013
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sayulita or Yelepa

How long does it take from PV to Yelepa by car?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
88 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sayulita or Yelepa

Unless something has changed, there is no road to Yelepa. Only water taxi.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sayulita or Yelepa

You can drive, take a cab or bus to Boca de Tomalin(sp?) and then take a panga (boat) water taxi to Yelepa. The bus takes about 45 minutes, less by taxi or car. The water taxi I believe will be about 30/45 minutes to Yelepa. I hope this helps. Anyone correct me if I am wrong. :)