We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of utilities

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
607 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of utilities

My wife and I have recently retired and are looking at renting an apartment in PV for five months this winter, Nov. to end of March. As I begin looking at accommodations, some are advertised as all in others have renters pay for some utilities. I am curious as to what people on average pay for electricity, water etc.

Grant from Victoria BC

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of utilities

My rent includes water and electricity, if my electricity bill doesn't exceed 200 pesos a month, in 4 years I have never have exceeded this, but I don't have AC. If you do, it's a whole other story, as big users of electricity are penalised to support the subsidized rate for the poorer users. If you can avoid AC it's very economical. I have a 2 bedrooms with only ceiling fans, never had AC here and really don't like it.

Gas comes in cylinders, or if it's a big building, maybe a stationary tank. a cylinder costs, at present about 300 pesos and will last me one month in the winter (water heating) and 6 weeks in the summer.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of utilities

CFE invoices every two months, so each bill is for a two-month timeframe. Our February/March 2013 CFE bill for a 2-bedroom, 2-bath condo (1150 square feet) was $4,154.76 pesos. There is a 2-ton A/C unit in the living area, and each bedroom has a 1-ton A/C unit. Talking with others in our complex and comparing bills, their CFE charges are about the same as ours. And this is the cost during the cool high-season months!

Of note is that we do have an electric washer and dryer, and ceiling fans in all rooms. So those items definitely add to the overall cost.

Our HOA fees include water and gas, so I can't provide a breakdown for those costs.

I hope this info helps!

Edited: 5:23 pm, August 23, 2013
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of utilities

There you go, if you have AC your electricity is going to be 10x.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of utilities

Another consideration in paying you own electric is the fairly complicated rate structure. You may be conservative in your use, but if the average use is high, you pay a higher per kwh rate.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of utilities

We rent a 2 bed/2 bath condo in the marina Nov-Apr. Fans in each room run all the time.

We use the AC in the bedroom at night to sleep Nov/Dec but Jan/Apr get by with fans only.

CFE bills for Nov/Dec 600/700 pesos Jan/Apr 350/500 pesos per 2 month billing.

We have friends with similar billings, BUT we also know some people who's base rate was triple ours & were paying 1500/2000 Nov/DEC.

Make sure you see the bill.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of utilities

Thanks to all for your postings, this information is very useful. I'm with you JR, we are not big fans (no pun intended) of AC so that does seem to be a big factor as you mentioned.

Cheers, Grant

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,648 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of utilities

A/C, no A/C, electric bills are to put it mildly wacko here in Mexico....no rhyme or reason..and structure as noted above is crazy...I would NEVER rent a place I had to pay electric without first seeing the last year of electric bills..some places have ow electric no matter and some high...and a lot of electric lets call it theft..

Not being negative just realistic..

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of utilities

all our rental units pay their electric and gas not water unless they have a washing machine

only one rental has a/c minisplits that he installed and pay the electric bill

the average two month bill is about 300 pesos

and the one with the minisplit about 6000 pesos for two months

may be less as we approach winter with less usage of a/c and fans

9. Re: Cost of utilities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta