We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book Exchange

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Book Exchange

Do guests bring books and leave them behind for others to read? If so,it will save room and weight in my suitcase :)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book Exchange

Where are you staying and someone will probably know if they have a little book exchange.

Also you can check with the coffee shop - A Page in the Sun, which sells a lot of used books.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d2…

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book Exchange

Sorry;forgot to name the resort,lol. the Golden Crown Paradise :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,881 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book Exchange

I don't know about GCP but any place I've ever stayed in PV had a free exchange book shelf (various hotels, B&B, apartments). I've also swapped books with people I met around the hotel pool, when they were done with one, or I was done with one, and passed it on. I've even seen book shelves sometimes in bars or restaurants.

suze

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book Exchange

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book Exchange

With the popularity of Kindles (I have one) the gringo bars are overflowing with paper books. :)

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book Exchange

thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,881 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book Exchange

Keep your eyes open for one of Gil Gevins' books. He is an author that lives in Puerto Vallarta and writes incredibly funny, laugh-out-loud short stories about his life there going back 30+ years. "Puerto Vallarta on 49 Brain Cells a Day", "Refried Brains" and "Puerto Vallara on a Donkey a Day". suze

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book Exchange

You can definitely find them at Lucy's Cucu Cabana at Basilio Badillo 295. The author and wife own this shop and hand select the best folk art pieces they find around Mexico...and it's affordable.

You can also find his books on Amazon.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book Exchange

This is a fun post. I threw Gil Gevins name into Google and this is what popped up first:

www.banderasnews.com/profiles/gil-givens.htm (Was this written today???)

I think I will order his books before I go. Sounds like several of you have read them. I plan on visiting his store on BB in Nov. Thanks!

Edited: 6:49 pm, August 17, 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book Exchange

I guess it was written today. It is always amazing and highly coincidental to me that when I google something PV....it was just printed in Banderas News today???

He also has a column in the PVMirror...usually the last page. It's not every week but at least once a month or more. Some of them are very funny. A recent one was about him trying to act like he was senile so his wife wouldn't make him work in the shop anymore. Here's one I haven't read yet.

http://www.pvmcitypaper.com/download/251.pdf

Sometimes he's in the shop, but not real often. I think it's a good idea to get the books now....but I would save the last one for when you get back home....takes care of those "I'm not in PV anymore blues"!