We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

What a wonderful vacation in paradise! This is the first time that we have traveled to PV in July. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. We did have rain but it was mostly in the late afternoon or evening and it really drove the humidity down making the evenings very comfortable. Our group consisted of me, my husband, and our two boys ages 9 and 10. I will break this report down into topics and try not to ramble too much :-)

Lindo Mar:

We continue to be very pleased with our timeshare at Lindo Mar. It is a small resort with a nice pool which while on the small side, is plenty big enough for the number of units in the resort. There was never an issue with finding a lounge chair or a table. The staff is part of the charm. Many of them are long time employees and treat you like returning family. Maria Elena, the concierge, is the heart of Lindo Mar. Her knowledge, friendliness, and willingness to make sure that your stay is special is so refreshing. I do wish that the management would find nicer accommodations for the spa since their current location is not much more then a large closet. You will however find the ladies give first rate massages and your best bet is to have them done in your room by the balcony, listening to the gentle lap of the waves. We had three therapeutic massages by Mary and oh how I wish I could have stuffed her in my suitcase :-) This trip there were quite a few children and so our boys enjoyed making friends and hanging out on the beach or by the pool. Even guests without children were getting into the spirit of the pool games and offering cush balls and fishing nets for the kids enjoyment.

Activities:

This was the first trip to PV for our boys and while we had plans to do things like the zoo they had other ideas. We did spend several nights on the Malacon enjoying the sand sculptors, shopping for trinkets, and just enjoying some family time .

On our fourth day we hired a driver that we had used quite a few years ago and we were so pleased with our day. We requested that he show the boys the “Real Mexico” rather then a lot of tourist locations. He took us up into the hills of Conchas Chinas that overlook our resort. There we saw some spectacular homes with awesome views...not exactly in our price range but unfortunately because of the economy many of them were for sale. We stopped on a back road and made a cut in a gum tree so the boys could have some tree to mouth gum. We had our first look at the town of Pitillal. That is definitely a town I want to go back and explore. We stopped at a little coconut stand and had them crack one open for the boys to eat. Hmmmm they tasted the coconut water I use in our smoothies back home right from the source. We also stopped at a brick oven bakery, Panaderia La Chiqueta, for the tastiest rolls and breads..hot and fresh from the oven. We drove around a few sub divisions where professional folks might live and then on to the back roads where we saw many abodes of the average Mexican workers. We stopped to see some Aztec hairless dogs. Sorry folks but they are not pretty! As a Rotarian I was pleased to see a kindergarten that was sponsored by Rotary International. We stopped for lunch in Nogalito where we ate by a small stream and let the boys play in the water by a small waterfall. We saw many local families having picnics in the area as well. We also stopped along the way to see a plant called mimosa pudica that is sensitive to touch and closes when its fronds are touched. This is the plants way to protect itself from deer and other grazers. We also stopped to see termite nests and learned how they are constructed and even repaired when damaged. A very educational day. I would highly recommend our driver and will pm his number to anyone who is interested.

The boys enjoyed snorkeling off the beach area at Lindo Mar. The water was perfect, warm and calm. They saw many different fish and also some eels. The local fisherman who goes out early in the morning and returns early afternoon was also a big attraction. He would gut his catch, let all the kids touch the squid and langoustines, and of course he was also a big draw to the local pelicans. We got some great pictures!

The boys had fun just being boys. They went to bed tired every night and made a ton of new friends that they will probably never see again from both the US and Mexico

Food:

As adults we had two choices that we were not willing to compromise on. The first one was Tony’s La Choza in Mismaloya. Actually the boys enjoyed it first because of its quaint location and second because Tony took the fresh chicken and made them chicken fingers. Hubby enjoyed his bacon wrapped shrimp and I had my usual garlic shrimp. We had two little girls on the roof next door openly flirting with our guys until mama came out and put an end to it :-)

Our second adult meal was at Barcelona Tapas. I fed the boys PP&J before we went and told them they were welcome to try any of our dishes as long as they behaved and let us have our night at Barcelona. They tried a few things like oven roasted asparagus and calamari but while we loved everything we ordered it was not a favorite with the younguns. Barcelona Tapas consistently delivers!

We ate quite a few meals, breakfast, lunch, and dinner at La Playita. Again, it is always a good choice and you can’t get a much better view. I especially liked their Enchilada’s Dona Paula which is shrimp in a cheese and salsa verde sauce.

Three nights we ate Italian in town. One night was at La Dolce Vita...it was okay but not great. I had lasagna and the boys had pepperoni pizza. My husband had spaghetti in a pink sauce with shrimp. He said it was very good. Two nights we ate at La Posta. They rate high in our book for excellent brick oven pizza. Hubby and I especially enjoyed the Caprese Pizza.

I will also give Baskin Robbins a plug. We don’t have any near us here in PA and that is a good thing because I fell in love with their pineapple coconut ice-cream.

We are back home, we all slept in this morning, I am on approximately load ten of laundry, and we are all ready to go back to Puerto Vallarta for another adventure. We are raising our grandchildren and I really wasn’t quite sure how this vacation would shake out. I must conclude by saying that while this trip was sooo different for us adults it was fun to see Mexico and Puerto Vallarta through the eyes of children!

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
936 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

This one one of the best trip reports I have read. Thank you. It was so informative and descriptive without being wordy or rambling.

It made me want to return to PV tomorrow. What a great time for you and your family.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

Great trip report! How much was you driver for the day as that trip sounded great. Cheers.

|Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
816 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

Thanks for posting your trip report. It was a fun read and we are glad you all had a good time.

Happy Travels, The Cheeseheads

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

Great report! Nice to hear how both the kids and the adults enjoyed the adventure. We have travelled to Mexico many times with our daughters, always a great time...........now one leaving for University in the States, so this spring break just the youngest one will be with us.......

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

That was a nicely written trip report.

Thanks.

Come again,it get's better and better.

Michael

Danvers...
Level Contributor
900 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

Thanks for such a nice trip report. You showed the kids a great time with a combination of down time and a Mexican experience.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

That really was one of the best reports - especially about your day with the driver & all you saw & learned - I'm sure your driver will be getting a lot of requests because of your report!

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

PS - maybe next trip if you can, have your laundry done at the lavanderia before you leave to home so that you don't have to be doing all that laundry yourself after such a nice trip!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

Thank you all for your kind comments. We have been going to PV for about ten years now and have a love affair with both PV and Cabo San Lucas......most of all the Mexican people.

Our driver, Luis, charged us $40 an hour. He is an older gentleman who has been a tour guide for many years. At one point as we were driving around Pitillal and he was waving and nodding to so many folks I asked him if he knew all those people or was he just being friendly. He said he knew most of them. He is just a super friendly man and so knowledgable on many different levels Our first tour with him years ago consisted of a tour of a tequila factory, an artists home/studio, a ranch, and a botanical garden. He will put a tour together that meets the needs of your group.

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Trip Report....PV with Kids :-)

Thanks for the great report. We also are members at Lindo Mar and go there twice a year. The beach there is wonderful.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta