We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lax to pvr

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ventura, ca
6 posts
Save Topic
lax to pvr

Hoping i can get some help from the Los Angeles area people. Been to PV 4 or 5 times over the past few years and have always gone March or October. this year considering the week over new years(12/28 to 1/4) so we could bring our kids who will be on school break. Problem is flight prices. Previous visits ranged from $360 to $450 for direct flights. For flights for the dates above we are looking at anywhere from $700 and up and these are with a layover. my question is this--is this the pricing i should expect over the Christmas/new years time frame?Is this in the range of what others paid last year or this year? Should i expect a price drop at some point? i see flights one week later are substantially less. Just looking for any info that you can provide.

thanks

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lax to pvr

Yikes ! Those fares are terrible, almost what you'd pay for first class in spring or fall.

I'd probably wait a while, but not too long, that is the high season and flights will fill up soon.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,631 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lax to pvr

That is way high! I've gone during the Christmas season as well, and the prices for me were about the same as I always pay.... But... I buy months in advance... Sometimes 10 months in advance. Just as soon as the airlines opens their booking for the dates I want, I jump on it.

What airlines do you use? I have a idea. We use Alaska Airlines and have an Alaska Airlines VISA. With that comes 25,000 miles when you open up an acct. If you book early enough, you can use that 25.000 miles for a free one way or round trip (depending on where you want to go). Alaska Airlines also has a companion ticket given each year to everyone who has the VISA. Buy one ticket and the second is only $100.00 plus taxes. We are going to PV in April with our miles earned (took a lot of miles) but its like a free trip.

The only reason I'm mentioning this to you is that if you have any friends that have this Alaska Airlines VISA card and they are NOT using their companion ticket this year (or its about to expire on them), they can GIVE YOU THEIR COMPANION TICKET! So, I would check around and see if any of your friends have one they aren't using.

ventura, ca
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: lax to pvr

thanks for the tips Deanna. already have the CC and have companion fare but right now Alaska's direct is $1100 on the 28th. at those prices and needing four seats, im looking at a hefty amount for flights. what im trying to figure out is if this is standard holiday pricing or if its a supply and demand thing where the planes are already almost sold out or if i can expect a price drop/sale in the future? otherwise may need to switch dates which will exclude the kids.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: lax to pvr

Its high season. My wife paid $1200 mind you that's from Toronto. Good luck, just keep searching.

Toronto
Level Contributor
436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lax to pvr

dhcoolmom,

I faced a similar airfare pricing structure when our family (9) met in PV two Christmas' ago. Inbound flights from just before Christmas until New Years were prohibitively expensive. The prices dropped January 1 and most of us flew in that date and returned a week later. The costs were much reduced.

Often, during "high" season and I am flying alone, I fly into Guadalajara (much less tourist based travel) and return via PVR. But, it is not a route that I would recommend for your situation.

jt

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
517 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: lax to pvr

Have you checked other airports ? Friends flew Burbank-Phoenix-PV on USAir. We fly from various S.Cal airports through Phoenix when we go. Stay near the airport the night before as the first flights leave at 6:30AM but you arrive in PV at 1:40 which I love-gives you time to settle in before dinner and groceries.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lax to pvr

Oldbattleaxe,

I have done that very thing. I checked Long Beach for those dates to make that suggestion and the fares were no better. It is that Jan 4th travel date that is the killer. That is the day everyone wants to fly to get back home for work/school after the Holidays and the fares are ridiculous.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lax to pvr

Hello DHCoolMom,

I live in Sacramento, CA, and we're always travelling back and forth to our condo over there. Just to give you an idea of how prices fluctuate, below are some of our travel itineraries to PVR (on other trips we've used airline miles). All prices were per person, and included all taxes and fees. We usually book our flights anywhere from two to six weeks in advance. A few times we've used a travel agent, but 90% of the time we book our own trips using Kayak.com, or directly from the airline's website. When shopping for airline prices, remember to always clear your browser cookies on the computer before each new flight search, or you may see that the airline has increased the flights by marginal amounts each time.

Many good wishes for finding excellent pricing on your upcoming flight!

July 2011

US Airways / Round-trip / SMF > Phoenix > PVR

$591.72 per person

CHRISTMAS 2011 / NEW YEARS 2012

My Husband's Flight

December 7, 2011 / Returning January 6, 2012

$575.92 per person

My Own Flight

December 19, 2011 / Returning January 6, 2012

$756.92 per person

Our Two Daughter's Flights (the girlies left early to spend New Years with college friends)

December 19, 2011 / Returning December 29, 2011

US Airways / Round-trip / SMF>Phoenix >PVR

$728.92 per person

COLLEGE SPRING BREAK - Our daughter was on spring break from Cal Poly SLO, and so departed with friends from LAX.

March 16, 2012 - March 25, 2012

Alaska Airlines / Round-trip / Non-stop / LAX > PVR

$470.05 per person

April 25, 2012 - May 2, 2012

Alaska Airlines / Round-trip / Non-stop / SFO > PVR

$338.95 per person

May 27, 2012 - June 3, 2012

United Airlines / Round-trip / Non-stop / SFO > PVR

$378.47 per person

JUNE 2012 - My sister's in-law is a travel agent, so when she saw this fantastic deal she called me right away. I called my hubby at work and he said "book it!" Unfortunately, our two daughters were away at universities and would not answer their texts and calls asking if they too wanted to go. The prices kept increasing by the half hour, so by the time they both called home and said YES they wanted to go, their two tickets ended up costing us more. The girls flew back together earlier than my husband and I.

My Husband & My Flights

June 13, 2012 - July 9, 2012

$264.95 per person

Our Two Daughter's Flights

June 13, 2012 - July 27, 2012

$431.95 per person

December 7, 2012 - December 16, 2012

Alaska Airlines / Round-trip / Non-stop / SFO > PVR

$360.27 per person

April 2, 2013 - May 13, 2013

United Airlines / /Round-trip / SMF > LAX > PVR

$497.55 per person

NEXT MONTH - August 2013

United Airlines, Round-Trip / SMF > LAX > PVR

$451.76 per person

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,779 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: lax to pvr

Ultimately you've asked if a sharp price increase is to be expected for flying over a holiday season. The short answer to that, is yes. Because it's when everyone else wants to fly in addition to yourself, so it becomes the old "supply & demand" game.

If you can at all look at finagling your dates around to not fly on the prime target dates (January 4), you might find some more wiggle room on pricing.

Two things will guarantee you pricier flights: flying on a Saturday (almost always the busiest flying day of the week), and flying over a holiday period popular for family travel (ie: Christmas or Easter).

Edited: 4:23 pm, July 15, 2013
10. Re: lax to pvr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 17, 2014