We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to PV need help with Resort

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor,Ontario...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Never been to PV need help with Resort

Going away this Christmas first time, originally we were looking at Cabo but flights were not working out for us so we decided to try PV.

The trip will be my husband and myself and our 25 yr old daughter, she is meeting us there for 5 days.

What we are looking for in an Al resort is: close to town, lots of food options not just buffets, nice beach and not a spring break atmosphere. Are the Now, Secrets and Dreams are best options?

Location wise are they walking distance to town?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been to PV need help with Resort

Hi Vittoria and welcome to the forum.

I don't stay AI in PV, but I can get you started. The maps below will help you with some distances. Now and Secrets are in the North Downtown area and that's the map the link below begins with. The maps are connected north to south and you can move up or down on the top and bottom of each map.

Dreams is on the Conchas Chinas map south of town, so you'll move down to get there.

When we say "town" around here we're referring to the South Side and Downtown maps. South Side is the most popular of the two....more restaurants and nightlife. Although all of PV is interesting.

The resorts you mentioned are fairly equi-distance from the center of town imo. On the north end near Now and Secrets you can walk in that area and you'll find a few restaurants there too. You can't walk from Dreams as it's in a more mountainess area and the road isn't safe to walk on. Both places are a quick ride to the two main areas though.

http://vallartainfo.com/n_downtown.html

Most everybody agrees that Dreams has the best beach. Dreams won't feel like you're in town because it's lush and mountainess, but the others will because that is still a busy area, but I've never heard anybody complain about hearing traffic from them. I don't think any of them are going to have the Spring Break atmosphere either.

Happy planning....:-)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been to PV need help with Resort

Most AI resorts are not close to town. but the three choices you made are probable the closest, if it's Dreams PV, (there's another Dreams, way out in Nuevo Vallarta). You could walk to town from Now & Secrets, but it's much easier to take a 5 min bus ride for 6.5 pesos, Dreams is about a 10min bus ride south of town, on the highway and not really walkable.

As an aside, many 1st time visitors have come here to AI resorts and then progressed to staying, either in a hotel or condo, in town on later trips, we have a wonderful selection of restaurants to suit all budgets and beats AI food, hands down :)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been to PV need help with Resort

JR made me think of it....there is another AI closer in and more walkable....Buenaventura and Villa Premiere. At VP you can use the facilities at Buenaventura but not the other way around. I believe AI is not mandantory.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been to PV need help with Resort

Dreams is close but not walking distance but a short taxi or bus ride into town.

Buenaventura, Villa Premiere, Now, Secrets, are all actually in town, in the hotel zone.

In Puerto Vallarta most of the hotels right in the central area of downtown/southside aren't all-inclusive, is why the list is somewhat limited.

suze

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been to PV need help with Resort

Got to agree with JR.

There are so many great restaurants on the Southside that are so reasonably priced I can't imagine eating hotel meals. IMO.

Michael

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been to PV need help with Resort

Dreams PV is also actually in the town of Puerto Vallarta, just not the very built up area.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
6,870 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never been to PV need help with Resort

We have been vacationing in PV for over 25+ years and stay AI for the most part... the Buenaventura Grand and Villa Premiere (adults-only) have an all-inclusive option and are both walking distance to town, BG mostly buffet, VP buffet and 2 ala carte restaurants comparable to fine dining in town; if you stay at VP you can also take advantage of restaurants, bar and facilities next door at BG; VP small rocky beach, BG nicer beach... Now Amber and Secrets (adults-only) a little further walk, nicer, brand new accommodations with multiple dining options, if you stay at Secrets you can also take advantage of facilities next door at NA; not the best beach but swimmable... Dreams is south on the opposite side of town a short cab ride away located on one of the best beaches in the area, nice accommodations, plenty of dining options and has been a favorable PV all-inclusive for years; they are also offering a dine around plan where you can make dinner arrangements with the concierge at Now Amber and Secrets... Sunset Plaza Beach would be another AI a little further north of Now Amber/Secrets, also new, nice accommodations, all ala carte restaurants (no buffet) only 2 restaurants but the Mirador restaurant has 3 different menus (Mexican, Italian & Bistro) that they alternate during the week and Lucianos Italian restaurant, main pool with swimup bar, adults only pool and 3 Jacuzzis also adults only. and the 1 bedroom suite at SPB is priced lower than standard accommodations at NA/Secrets, Dreams or VP and includes 2 full baths, kitchen, dining/living area w/sofa bed and master bedroom w/Jacuzzi, you can also add on the connecting standard room with 2 beds and another bath.

Edited: 12:55 pm, July 13, 2013
Windsor,Ontario...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Never been to PV need help with Resort

Thanks everyone, we are doing a AI since this will be our first visit and also go into town to try new restaurants a couple of nights.

Secrets is the front runner right now but will look at other hotels mentioned, we do not travel much, last time in Mexico was over 15 yrs ago and went to Huatulco and did not enjoy the food at all, too secluded, could not leave the resort. Do not want this experience again.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never been to PV need help with Resort

Oh my, PV isn't like Huatulco 15 years ago. It's very easy to find international food in PV....you can get pizza and hamburgers to comfort food to gourmet food to fabulous fish and shellfish dishes. You are visiting a much different place for sure.

As you read the forum you'll notice that people are and do get out and about enjoying dining, walking, shopping, and going on tours because it is safe. She is coming into her own as a cosmopolitan city where you can even attend the ballet. All of this, yet she has retained her Mexican charm so I think you'll be quite surprised and pleased.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never been to PV need help with Resort

<Huatulco 15 years ago>

Puerto Vallarta is a hussling, bussling, modern city w/ a population over 250,000. I can't imagine there is much similarity to Huatulco 15 years ago.

While Dreams may technically be in the city of Puerto Vallarta, it is not walking distance to shops, restaurants, galleries, etc. like this person asked about, you need to bus or taxi in. It's not far, but too far to walk (along a very busy highway). suze