We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

Hello,

I'm a solo traveller trying to find somewhere safe, beachy and affordable to learn Spanish in Mexico for 1 month in August this year. PV sounds wonderful and a very safe place to be for me by myself however from my research I'm not sure if I will get much Spanish practise in PV? Wondering what people's thoughts are. Also as a budget traveller in PV will I get to experience the best parts and find good accommodation for a month? looks like lots of resorts. I have a budget of about $60 USD a night.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

I am traveling to PV,solo for the first time,and was planning on staying at one of the budget hotels.I found a 1 bedroom apt 2 blocks from the beach in "Old Town" for $200 USD a week on www.vrbo.com I wont be there until next week so I cant give any details about the apt,but the price is right.So $60 a nite is deffinately doable.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

You can get a nice clean room in a budget hotel (no AC and it's hot in August) with ceiling fans for 300 pesos ($24), leaving a loot more for another things - beer ? Several on F. Madero including the well known Azteca Hotel.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,286 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

As you indicated, sometimes it can be difficult finding places to practice your Spanish in PV as so many people speak English and many of the locals (in restaurants, etc.) want to practice their English with a native speaker.

Many will probably be fascinated by your Australian accent. That's not something they are accustomed to.

While I've been down in PV in Spanish School and want to practice, what I usually do is find someone in my class who wants to practice (a lot) and I also wander in the colonias and go to tiendas and taco stands and small restaurants (comida corridas, etc.) where locals eat and shop. I don't spend any time on the beach.

You can obviously have beach fun while there (especially for the month of August as Nationals vacation then so many of your fellow beach-goers will be Mexicans on vacation) but, in general, what I always look for is a little restaurant (or two) near where I'm staying where the employees think it's cool that I want to practice my Spanish. I've found a few over the years where they say ----- "come in anytime and we'll only speak Spanish and you can stay as long as you want." Nice offer.

Have a great time and good luck in your studies. You will love Puerto Vallarta.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

Google Vallarta sunset suites. Their hotel is very reasonable, A/C, pool, close to beach & bars/restaurants. Not sure if a Mexican could tell the difference between a North American accent & an Australian one unless their English is excellent. JMO

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,286 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

If they can tell the difference between a California accent and a Canadian one (which a lot of Mexicans I know can), they'll probably be able to tell the difference ---- unless of course we're saying that the OP is only speaking Spanish with a Spanish accent. That would be different.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

As already mentioned above, you can find plenty of $30-50/night rooms on the south-side of PV. Especially in August which is off season. Staying 1-month you can probably even get more of a discount if you pay in cash up front.

Why you probably have impression it's all "resorts" is because many of these local hotels don't have an internet presence. Look at www.hotelposadaderoger.com. It's where I have stayed most often and is one of the more high end of the budget places but will give you an idea what you can get for that price range. Believe me it is not a 'resort'.

You will have plenty of chance to speak Spanish. Just go into the residential areas of town, don't only hang out in the tourist section.

Overall I think PV sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

suze

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

magaggie1, Welcome to TA!

While PV is a wonderful friendly somewhat Colonial Mexican beach destination, it would not be my choice for learning Spanish. Instead I would Google total Immersion Spanish Language schools in either Puebla or Cuernavaca Mexico.

Here your language learning would include actual classroom learning, field trips, and room & board with a typical Mexican family in the area. Two schools come to mind: 1) the Spanish Language Institute of Puebla; 2) the Cuernavaca Language School.

Neither of these destinations meet your criteria for a beach destination; but after you finish the language school you will be very comfortable traveling on your own to any of the Mexican beach destinations not too far away.

¡Se diviertan!

Edited: 11:59 am, June 29, 2013
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,273 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

Your best bet in Puerto Vallarta for language practice is a place that will arrange for a homestay (living with a Mexican family while studying). Here´s one option.

http://www.spanishexperiencecenter.com/

(We were there as day students, but there were quite a number of people of all ages in the homestay program and liked it).

Here´s another option. Not sure if they have homestay or not. I have no personal experience with it

solexico.com/EN/…

One advantage of the Spanish Experience Centre (and perhaps Solexico) is that it attracts a large number of European students whose first language is not English. Hence it´s easier to speak Spanish even during breaks in the schedule. They also allow you to "hang out" there during the day. There´s a lady who will make you a simple Mexican lunch for dirt cheap. She doesn´t speak English and is most happy to speak Spanish to even beginning students..

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

I think a homestay program in Puerto Vallarta would be a good idea, also. Back when I was studying Spanish, I had the benefit of staying with my wife's uncle. He spoke no English and each day after class, he would ask me what we had learned. Upon hearing the answer, he would intentionally change his manner of speaking, for the rest of the day, to focus on what I was studying. For example, if we were studying past tense verbs, he might recount a few events that happened during his youth.

Of course, after hours of studying Spanish, you head is going to feel like it might explode if you have to say one more Spanish word. In Puerto Vallarta, you will encounter a lot of English speakers to give yourself a temporary rest. :-)

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PV for Spanish School and Budget Traveller

I found that the Spanish teacher I have is very good. His name is Don. Don Julio to be exact. The more I have of Don Julio, the better my spanish becomes. Or so I think at the time. No, just joking. I find I try to listen and speak Spanish with the locals as much as possible. You guessed it, my spanish is terrible, but never once did I feel intimidated by the locals. They will actually try and help you. They do appreciate that you are trying to speak their language. Give it a try.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta