We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phones 2013

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
cell phones 2013

I know there are countless topics about this, but perusing a number of pages of search here, what I read was a year old and much more. I'll be in the area for a couple of weeks. My US carrier, T-Mobile's Mexico rates are $1.79 a minute. I'm not into that kind of expense. So I'm wondering, should I bring my Android smart phone and get a sim card, buy a cheap phone with prepaid in PV or forget it and just use my phone and Skype or whatever.

I'm more concerned with making calls to Mexican phones than US ones. I can use Skype or other means for that. But if I want to make some calls around the PV area, including the beach towns to the north, what do you recommend?

If I bring my own phone is mobile data worth having, given the presence of wifi? Is it 3G and slower?

Thanks for any help.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phones 2013

Your android smart phone would need to be unlocked before you could use a Mexican sim card.

For a short one of visit the cheap Telcel phones from OXXO for $20 come with minutes preloaded.

Or see Robert next door to Hotel Belmar, he will set you up with phone complete with English sub-titles.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phones 2013

Or just use WiFi at the many free (with a drink purchase) call and WiFi connections at many bars here.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phones 2013

My Android phone is unlocked, so I could use it. Maybe it's best to leave it home and not have to worry about it, but the convenience of its various things aside from being a phone would be nice to have around.

Can I use wifi to make calls within Mexico? I'm kind of a techy, but I don't know how to do that. What's the process to do that? I can't use Skype (we have a call Mexico account), I don't think, other than to call the DF, Guadalajara and Monterey. Or does it work for PV calls, too?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phones 2013

I am not a techy but.....when you sign into Skype, they think you are in the US so any Mexican phone numbers should work under your Mexican plan. Maybe...?

I buy a phone card at the carryout and use a pay phone for Mexican numbers.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phones 2013

If you are that concerned I would do as IanP55 suggested and buy a $20.00 phone. You can upload time (minutes) from anywhere anytime you need it and you won't spend $$$$ on roaming charges, of course you will get a new number. Lots of options but it's up to you to make the decision you are comfortable with.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phones 2013

If your droid is unlocked I would use that, as you say the other features will be a big advantage, there are free WiFi connections everywhere in PV so surfing is very easy .

Use you sim card for Mexican calls & as JR said there are cafe's, bars, restaurants, etc who will give you free calls to NA all over the place.

Can't help you with Skype info as I am a magicjack+ guy.

Enjoy your trip.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phones 2013

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

Edited: 1:18 am, June 26, 2013
Manitoba
Level Contributor
458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: cell phones 2013

Please keep us posted as to the best (for you and why) solution.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cell phones 2013

A slight correction, you don't buy minutes for a Mexican cell phone, you add pesos, the charge per minute changes depending on whether your call is in the same area code or considered long distance to another area code in Mexico,

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cell phones 2013

Thanks. I'll post my choice and experience. Thanks for your input.