We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from airport to hotel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
GRANVILLE, IL
8 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from airport to hotel

We are traveling to Puerto Vallarta in July and I am wondering if anyone who has been there recently can recommend if it is better to line up a shuttle service prior to arrival or is it easy to obtain and taxi and is that the more economical way to go? Thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

I don't know how many are in your group but airport taxies hold 3 and luggage comfortably. They are easy to get. There is a taxi kiosk in the lobby, tell them where you want to go, pay and go get your taxi. Make sure you get past the time share sharks. They will promise you anything to get you to listen to their speil. After you push the custom button go thru the doors and veer left til you go thru another set of door. This is the safe area.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

I'm guessing not but just incase, if you bought an all inclusive vacation or maybe even if you havent but have prebooked a hotel/resort, they will have a shuttle waiting for you at the airport!

I remember when we went to cancun i didnt know this at first as was also conserned so just check just in case.

but im sure you prob checked this out anyways but just in case.

Cheers!

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
969 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

Taxi service is very easy to find in the main airport lobby at the taxi kiosk.You should be informed that the minute the doors open from the immigration process the first thing you will encounter is dozens of timeshare hustlers. Beware because they have semi official uniforms and ID tags for the airport and they will pretend they work for whatever hotel you tell them you are going to/some even claim to work for the tourist authorities or the government.Just keep in mind you dont have to talk to them just keep on walking to the airport lobby where you will find real travel reps and transportation represenatives. Many package tours include transport from a ground service provider but if thats not the case the airport taxis have regulated fares to wherever you are going. Just dont take the bait on the Freebies offered to you no matter what you are told its not free.

Maryland
Level Contributor
312 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

This may be up for debate, but it works for us. We take the bridge to the left of the exit and catch a taxi from across the street.

They are not the airport taxi. I found this to be less expensive and I like to give them the business.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,964 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

If you bought a package deal (air/hotel or all inclusive), check your itinerary or with your travel agent to find out if transfers are included in your paid price. If so, there will be transportation waiting for you, you simply have to find your tour representative, who will find you on their list of arrivals and usher you to your bus coach.

If not, head for the taxi booth and tell them where you're going. You'll be given the flat rate price for a taxi to your location. Pay this, you get a ticket stub, and they direct you to someone who takes you to your taxi waiting outside. This takes all of about 10 minutes and you are on your way. Can't miss the booth, as soon as you get through the timeshare gauntlet (the little room directly as you come out of customs - just KEEP WALKING), go out the sliding door and you'll see tour reps and a big sign above the booth at the east exit door that says "Taxis". Go right to the window, pay, and you're on your way.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

Several of you are mentioning the taxi booth where you buy a ticket then go get a taxi... Is this a safe way to do it? I've heard a couple stories of people who bought a ticket, then later in the taxi, the driver claiming he never got their ticket and demanding more money. Has anyone else heard of this happening? Some people have recommended just walking up to a taxi and offering a certain amount, then going. Any thoughts from those of you who've been there?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,964 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

Were these "stories" of drivers from PV, or are these well meaning people telling you stories from other Mexican cities? Because in 8 years of going there I've never had a taxi do this, and I travel alone which generally makes me a huge target for scam artists. I've always used the taxi booths in the airport.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

We use this method to get from the airport to our hotel as well, and have had absolutely no problems, or even heard of any "problem stories".

When the ticket is paid for by the customer and issued at the taxi kiosk, the taxi driver is told where the customer wishes to go, and both customer 'and' driver each get a copy of the ticket as issued. And we have always found the driver to confirm where we are going when we get to his cab (before he pulls away from the curb). Plus, before the driver actually leaves the airport property, he has to stop at a gate, and confirm where he's going with the operator of such.

Seems like quite a "fail-safe" method to me, and it has always worked well for us.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

Ok...that's great to hear. Makes me feel much better as I've been dreading the airport taxi process! Thanks so much for the info!

One quick question...how can you pay at the taxi booth? Is it cash only?

BTW - The two reports I read were on PV hotel reviews..and that was back when I was still looking at a bunch of different hotels, so I couldn't tell you which ones they were. I don't really remember specifics, but I think perhaps the difference may have been that these people bought "tickets" from people selling them outside? I don't remember any mention of a booth or window or anything.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,964 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

I suspect they probably went off airport premises to negotiate their own taxi rate. The airport taxi booths are safe and dependable. A little more expensive, but worh it IMO to be on your way in minutes.

I don't think the booth takes anything but cash. USD or pesos, but note that if you pay in USD you will get your change in pesos.