We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun Idea!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Fun Idea!

Why not plan a huge get together in PV for all of us who love it there and return often - a big party - sort of like a high school reunion. We could all wear name tags with our proper names and our forum name in brackets. It would be mucho fun to put faces to all of the people who post here would it not?! Probably some of you do get together there but we are probably all curious about other posters - their looks, personalities, etc. Some personality types do come across on this forum but it doesn't complete the picture. Has this ever been suggested?

|Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
845 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun Idea!

Hi LovestoDance, That is a good idea. We would be interested in something like that as we always like to meet new people. We have used the Cantina Crawls also for a "party" to meet people but it is a little hard to carry on a conversation for long with the loud music. when will you be in PV? We were also thinking of trying to organize something in the afternoon. We are usually down the first couple of weeks of Feb. I'll keep watching and see what develops.

Happy travels

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun Idea!

A bunch of us did that back in 2002, after "meeting" on bzy1's All Vallarta Board. byz1 was moving to PV and her birthday was shortly after, so everyone that could planned a trip that October and we all got to meet and celebrate Brenda's birthday and move to PV. We had so much fun that it began a yearly get-together that saw that group grow to as many as 70 people there one year at the same time. Lots of pre-planned events and dinners, lots of happy hours, parties and dinners. The numbers went up and down every year, but some really strong friendships were made and I'm happy to be able to say that I made some great friends and we stay in touch year-round and look forward to seeing each other every fall. There is a smaller group of the friends in PV right now too.

So yes, it's been suggested...and done. And it works.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,860 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun Idea!

That's what the Meet and Greets are.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,860 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun Idea!

Missed my Edit Window (someone called).

The deal is ---- people are coming on vacation/travels, whatever. So, unless someone wants to organize everyone being down there at the same time ---- such as my friends and I just did for a huge High School Reunion with 200 people in our home town (planned 2 years in advance) ---- it's pretty much the Meet and Greets at wherever people organizing it can get a place.

When I first went to a Tripadvisor/PV/other local boards Meet and Greet, it was at Café Roma and there were tons of people and tons of smoke and it was way too much to take in.

I've organized family reunions for 100 and High School Reunions for 200 and --- take my word for it --- it would be a totally different scene trying to do this in Puerto Vallarta since the ONLY thing we all have in common is that we post on the internet on Tripadvisor. Believe it or not, there are numerous thousands of people who come to Puerto Vallarta regularly who have never heard to Tripadvisor. I've met many of them. Usually when people do big reunions, they have some family history in common or they have "we were in the same place at the same time" (high school) in common.

I can see an interest in ONE-BIG-BASH but many of us have gone down there for many years (decades) and have our own big bashes. It's difficult to get a "big-bash" going when people have never met each other in person. Also, in my case, I have friends down there who belong to the same vacation club and we always do a bash (400+ people) in October. But, we do it because we have something in common.

Good luck. Having been in the "building community" field, both in my town and in business, it's an interesting concept but the practicalities are an issue for something larger than a M&G. Not trying to discourage anyone. Just being a realist.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun Idea!

OMG ~ It was so hot and humid the night of Brenda's first birthday living in PV, a few of the guys were wearing slacks, I thought they were going to melt into puddles of sweat.

It was a great night, though I don't think I've seen JR in slacks since ~ LOL

For several years after that there were weekly meet-ups at CyC, now be sure to stop by the Tuesday get-togethers at Pour Favor.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,860 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun Idea!

Sorry I missed you guys in 2002 ---- that was the Hurricane Kenna year, right? I'd been there right before that but my USMC son was getting ready to go to war then so I was spending a lot of time back East where he was stationed. No PV that year.

So, bottom-line ---- it's been suggested many times and that's how the Meet & Greets evolved. I have my own little community in PV (what with fellow vacation club owners and all my friends who have been in my Spanish classes over 3 years of going down there months every year).

Also, speaking personally (since I only have one vocal cord), you won't get me in a big group anywhere as nobody can hear me and I can't risk my health to blow out the only cord I have left. I like smaller groups where you can actually get to know people.

The last time I was at Pour Favor (December), we had a great time in a small group and I got to meet people I'd been writing to for (in one case) years. Suited me just fine and the lovely people I met know who they are. ;=))

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun Idea!

Sounds like a great idea. We'd be happy to volunteer our second floor restaurant if a venue is needed. We've got plenty of room.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun Idea!

Loves, I think the Meet and Greets and the Cantina Crawls are a good way to meet up with other TA'ers and their friends, if you desire to, and whether you take it further than that is totally up to you. The main thing is nothing is forced, nothing is expected, nothing is criticized; it's everyone's vacation or trip to do what they want to do. Some people don't like big groups. Some people don't want to meet anyone. Obviously not everyone will become lifelong friends. It's just like the world. It takes all kinds of personalities to make the world go 'round. And the same can be said for experiences in PV.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun Idea!

Hi Cheesehead - I have tentative plans to go in November. I usually go in April or May. I will certainly let you know for sure when I will be there if you and your wife would like to meet up.

It seems that the big party idea has been implemented several years ago quite successfully. I don't see why it couldn't happen again, with those of us newer to the forum. The suggestion was for a party inviting all posters on the forum. Those of you who have established your groups and are happy with that - good for you.

I love your enthusiasm Conner. Are you interested in setting it up? Perhaps in the shoulder season, either in fall or spring? Sounds like your place would be a good venue. Anyway, lets keep it on the table and see what develops. I've no doubt the meet and greets are great but my suggestion was for a big party with as many people as are interested in such. Cantina crawls don't appeal to me.

Many of us are retired and many of us and would be able to plan vacations well enough to attend. Of course, any who are not interested for whatever reason would simply not respond.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun Idea!

We will be down late Nov.Sounds great!