We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Columbus, Georgia
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

Later this month we will be traveling to PVR. In the past Delta (from Atlanta) had direct flights to PVR but this year not so. We will have to go through customs and change planes in at MEX(Mexico City). Has anyone else out there traveled this route? Any thoughts on time involved or other unknowns would help make us more comfortable with our new experience. Thanks to all.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

We're taking the ATL --> MEX --> PVR flight next Mon so can't help with your question. But Delta does offer the direct ATL --> PVR on Sat, we're taking that on our return.

I did ask folks on the MEX forum what we might do during our 3.5 hr layover and everyone said we don;t really have enough time to go anywhere so we'll just grab a lunch and hang at the airport.

Just a side note on Delta -

We usually flu US Air and we're taking Delta for the first time from ROC to PVR. I was very surprised (shocked actually) to find that major itinerary changes made by Delta are not communicated to the customer! Our first leg was moved from Fri to Sat, but our next legs were still on Fri - I just happened to check our itinerary and found the change. I asked 3 different reps and 1 senior rep if this was indeed normal and yes, they do not communicate these changes even though they have your phone and e-mail contact.

So I would recommend that Delta customers check their itineraries frequently.

Edited: 9:31 am, May 09, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,684 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

This has been Delta's MO for quite some time...if you fly them, it's really important to check your itinerary regularly.

Of course you know what Delta stands for, right? Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport. (-;

In terms of flying through MEX, familiarize yourself with the airport layout, and don't just trust the departure boards to always be accurate on gate numbers/locations (this happens at MEX sometimes). Give yourself enough time to find the actual gate. Because your first stop is inside Mexico, your connecting flight to PVR should mean you will land and go through the domestic arrivals rather than the international one. Which if memory serves, means no timeshare gauntlet.

Fruitvale, CO
Level Contributor
305 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

I suggest you check your flights frequently no matter what airline you are flying. I have had changes, sometimes impossible connections, on just about every airline. While they appear on the internet, when I call to find out why I was not informed by email or phone, I'm usually told they do not have to do this until a month, 24 hours or never. By then it is impossible to rebook. Frontier once left a message on my voice mail at home about a cancelled flight hours after my original flight had been scheduled. Fortunately, I had discoved the cancellation months before, cancelled with Frontier and rebooked on a different airline.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
310 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

A few years ago we did the SFO-MEX-PVR flight on AeroMexico. We had a three hour layover - which was fine. We spent some time looking for Terminal 2 to catch our flight to PVR - without realizing we were in T2 all along! :) After landing in PV we deplaned, grabbed our luggage and were on our way to the condo. Have fun!

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

Yes, if you haven't made your plane reservations yet, arrange to have several hours in Mexico City between planes. The airport is HUGE, but there are plenty of places to get a snack or browse in the stores.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

PVJenny I wish you hadn't educated me on Delta! {;>{

Colorado yes, we always monitor flights regularly as well as all of the other bookings, don't like the idea of missing a vacation we looked forward! We usually have at least a couple trips in process at a time so I'm used to that. I do know people who relied solely on a TA and suffered as a result...

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

Having traveled several times from CT (BDL) or out of NY, we've gad much better luck with a connection in Mexico City vs Atlanta; if there's an option -- Dallas would be our first choice.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

Having done the Alaska Airlines "Catch me if you can" connections show (Comedy channel on saturday night) a time or several, and almost booking a 1 stopover "flight" that would in the end have taken more than a day, I am so very happy that we in the Great White North have the option to fly direct, at least from Alberta and British Columbia.

I would not be travelling unless it is direct.

Question: it takes 4 hours and 15 minutes to fly down, and 4 hours and 30 minutes to come back. Is that because it's uphill on the way back? (sorry)

Jenn, what is United an acronym for? Whatever it is, it can't be pleasant. United and Delta are 2 carriers that I will not knowingly or by choice use under any circumstances barring extremis.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,684 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

United is a Star Alliance partner and codeshares with Scare Canada...enough said. LOL

I don't mind Delta TOO much, but I'm very particular about the routes I fly with them and timing. I'm a long time SkyMiles card holder. Delta now does some codeshares with WestJet...so hopefully that customer service aspect will rub off on them.

10. Re: Changing flights from ATL thru MEX to PVR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 11, 2014