We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

If you look like you're unfamiliar with pesos or are in a rush to get into a taxi to leave the airport, you're more likely to be ripped off when you pay for the taxi to your hotel. A man will catch your attention and lead you to a girl in a booth to purchase a ticket (prices clearly dictated by zone) and she will quickly and deftly provide you with change that appears to be sufficient even though she has short changed you. I didn't look at my change until we were well on our way to the hotel...and then realized that I was short changed 100 pesos. Not the best welcome to PV but the girls in the booth count on the fact that tourists won't ever notice. Take an extra minute to check your change while you're still at the booth.

United States
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

This goes for every time you buy something (like in the US as well) especially at the OXXO down there too.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

Too bad you looked unfamiliar....Best to take a deep breath first, and then check out your new surroundings mi amigo.

Edited: 10:35 pm, April 28, 2013
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

I count my change here in Canada as well.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

I got ripped off in Disneyland in much the same manner basically what you are posting applies every where in the world

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

And there's always the chance it was an honest mistake. But if I don't take the time to count it shame on me!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

Yes, especially at the OXXO as Deana says. In Jan. I was ripped off twice, but I did count my change. Once I got the change back and the other the lady just flat refused and there wasnt much I could do. She gave me change for a 200 peso instead of 500 (it was all I had because I just came from the ATM). So not only count, I would say what you are giving the teller if it's a bigger bill. I was hooped for 300 pesos and it was very annoying:(

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,196 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

I'm not saying these things don't happen so no offense to you Buckhorn. But, we have to be careful what we accuse people of.....there is usually no way of definitely knowing if there was any ulterior motive. If you have ever had to be planted in one spot and handle money hour after hour, you know it can be boring and mind numbing. Sometimes things are genuine mistakes.

As an example some people have suspected this at the Oxxo on Basilio Badillo and Olas Atlas. In all the trips into that place I have never had anything happen until March this year .....but it was opposite.

My family (9 of us) was going somewhere a ways out of PV so we arranged for a van right in front of the Oxxo. Everybody was in the van but I wanted some water..... so I asked my husband for some money to quickly run in the Oxxo. I didn't look at what he gave me. After I handed the bill to the cashier...he placed it in the drawer and began counting out change....then he stopped...looked at me and said...."Did you give me a 20 or a 50?" Guess what, I was in such a hurry....I didn't know....had to run back outside and ask my husband. The guy took my word for it....a 50.

On another occasion I didn't have enough money once my items were rung up, the same cashier told me to pay him the rest next time. So, I think we have to stay sharp but also be very careful about what we assume.

Pacific Latitiude...
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

It is good practice to announce the amount tendered (cinco cien pesos) when you pay. Also check for errors in the total rung up. A friend was visiting and bought 4 bottles of vodka at La Playa. They rang up 5 bottles! Then at OXXO for mix they tried to short by 20 pesos...

Also if you are paying at a restaurant by cash, announce the amount tendered so that everyone hears it. Otherwise they might be back having substituted old 200 pesos notes for 500s and demanding the proper amount.

All these are real examples of challenges we face as perceived gringo tourists.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

(cinco cien pesos) Keith ???????

you probably meant 'Quinientos Pesos' - five hundred pesos

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,500 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Count your change for the taxi from the airport to hotel

"All these are real examples of challenges we face as perceived gringo tourists."

Just change that from "gringo" to plain old "tourists", and you have the same problem everywhere in the world. I just had an attempted rip off at a Hudson News in the Pearson airport in Toronto last Thursday...so folks, let's be careful when we decide to paint with that VERY broad brush.

It's YOUR responsibility to look after YOUR money. Don't rely on strangers to do that for you, or you get what you get.