We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

Looking on the map it's about 2 miles - how long does the hike typically take without too many stops? Also, do the water taxis always stop at Las Animas on their way back from Yelapa and, if so, is there a schedule posted somewhere?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

The hike takes around 2 hours, the water taxis are easily flagged down from Las Animas, ask a restaurant waiter to assist you.

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

You should have no problem getting a water taxi back to Boca.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

We just did this hike last week and if you are in good shape and used to hiking I think you could do it in much less than two hours without stops -- but the stops are worth stopping for! We loved the chance to have some beaches and water to ourselves. The journey was much more charming than the destination (Las Animas quickly crowds up with tourists on excursions, and is full of peddlers and people pitching banana boat rides, etc.). No shortage of water taxis or pangas to take you back to Boca. We paid 50 pesos a person, I think.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

Also, our waiter told us the water taxis come about every half hour till late in the evening, and it seemed they always stopped at the dock (or maybe people on the dock waved them down). We went on a panga off schedule, who also stopped to pick up three weary hikers waving from the dock at Ocean Grill. Two young ladies had hiked from Boca with a toddler, couldn't go any further, and dreaded turning around to hike back!

At Boca, walk right down from the bus stop toward the ocean, and cross on the bridge/dock and sandbar. We added time by walking up the river to another bridge, then back down again on the other side. We did enjoy looking around Boca, but it took longer. It wasn't as clear on the map on JR's site that you could cross on the sand.

walnut creek
Level Contributor
447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

Take a swim break at Los Caballos Beach less than 1/2 mile before you get to Animas Beach. It's a

beautiful white sand beach with palm trees and usually hardly anybody there!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

Is the trail doable in regular tennis shoes? Flip flops?

Omaha
Level Contributor
527 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

I have done it in flips, but everyone else was in tennis shoes.

Calgary
Level Contributor
383 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

I have done the hike in both tennis shoes and flip flops. Tennis shoes were much easier, but flip flops are doable. Take a mask with you, if you have one, and snorkle at Colomitos, as this is one of the spots in the bay for snorkling/diving. Last trip one of the local Boca dogs came with us after the wife saved him from 2 other protective dogs in the town. He was a great guide, always in front of us hunting for game and getting us back on the trail when we missed a turn. Very entertaining.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

I had flip flops and tennis shoes with me. The first part of the trail was much easier with tennis shoes but would have been doable in flip-flops. After getting into the water at one of the beaches (the next one after the one by ocean grill), I wore flips the rest of the way and it was easy. I wish we had brought snorkel gear.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas

In a few months you won't be able to get to the other side at Boca on the beach, there will be a big bloody river in the way. :)