We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
East Lansing...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

I am thinking about traveling to Puerto Vallarta in July. Is this a popular time to visit? When in July is best? I am also curious about what kind of activities are available during this time.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,887 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

The best time to visit is when you have vacation time off work. It's low season and not too many northern tourists. It would be the beginning of the rainy season, so expect heat, humidity and some dramatic evening rainstorms. There should also be plenty of sun during the day.

I have friends who live in your area and they normally travel south in the winter, to get away from the cold, but if that's the only vacation slot you have and you can tolerate heat and wet (in the form of rain or humidity) ---- it might work for you.

No time in July is better than another time. It's all about the same (having spent the entire month of July there in the recent past).

Activities? There is plenty going on as people are there when they have their summer vacation (teachers, etc.) but the tourist population will be low. Activities will depend on where you stay.

If this is your first trip to Puerto Vallarta, just remember that most northern tourists come from Nov - April but there is a charm to the rainy season. One of the benefits is that you get more personal space and the prices are lower. Another benefit is warmer water and dramatic storms in the evening/night that you will never forget. Just be prepared to walk in puddles the next morning.

Edited: 8:06 pm, April 07, 2013
Virginia
Level Contributor
412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

I prefer Nov.-May in Puerto Vallarta however I have had several super July visits also. P.V. is wonderful no matter what time of year you are able to go! July has beautiful warm rains and almost nightly spectacular lightening displays! Just make sure you have an air conditioned bedroom and you will be OK. Enjoy!

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

Summer months are the slow season in Puerto Vallarta. It is humid and hot, as is any tropical destination in the rainy season. The town is quieter but definitely not a ghost town. Many Mexican Nationals travel during the summer months, for the same reasons we do, school is out and they come from inland cities that are hotter with no beach.

I love the summer months, everything is green, the rains have washed all the dust away, There are amazing lighting shows all around the bay at night when it rains. Rain happens mainly from early evening, sometimes only for an hour or two and sometimes all night but the sun comes out in the morning. The rain cools things off for a little while and then it is a repeat of heat and humidity until it rains again. The rain is warm and the ocean is really warm, fishing is good.

Most of the restaurants are open until Sept. when a lot of them close to paint and do repairs before the start of the high season. Some of the shops close for the summer months. All of the tours are still running, unless a tropical storm is off the coast and causes cancellation.

You just have to be diligent staying hydrated and using a lot of sunscreen. It is a great time to be in PV.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

November to May IMO and/or anytime it's cold in New Jersey

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

Don't know of any shops that close for the summer, but some of the smaller restaurants will.

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

We always go in May and again in November weather has been great both times of the year with the water a littler warmer in November. Just about every thing is open at both times of the year.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

JR,

I guess you should go shopping for women's clothes more often. :). It was just discussed on another thread how some of the dress shops close for summer.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,887 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

That's been my experience also, kat. Numerous times I've tried to go to Curvas Peligrosas (the best swimwear shop in town) even NOT in the summer and frequently find them closed for the season (this is in late Spring and Fall.....haven't been in July for 3 years).

There are plenty of shops open in the off season ---- and plenty closed. A lesson in adaptation. I just always figure if I'm there in the off-season, only half of the places are open (it's probably more than that) and that way I set my expectations for "the glass is half full" rather than half-empty.

Edited: 11:34 pm, April 07, 2013
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

But the local stores, not the Gringa owned stores, may close for a couple of weeks for vacation, that's not the whole summer.

Edited: 12:35 am, April 08, 2013
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,360 posts
520 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit Puerto Vallarta

When you can go is the best time to go to Puerto Vallarta. Summer like everywhere will be no school for nationals so they will be plentiful...also it is rainy season, so hot, humid and with some rain, something to experience in the tropics, for sure. We go every July, anniversary hits at that time, we like it at any time...less notherners in summer...enjoy

I am to be at dreams one week then following week at my favorite Casa Velas the next week at last 2 weeks of July...