We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some suggestions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
BC
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for some suggestions

We are trying to decide on where to go on our next family vacation. We are a family of five (possibly six if my daughter's boyfriend can afford to come). My kids are spread out in ages so I am looking for a hotel that will make us all happy. My husband likes a swim up bar, my girls want a good entertainment staff that will keep them busy (no kids club) and I just want to be able to sit on a beach chair and read a book. A beach is not important as no one much in our family goes into the ocean. It has to be all inclusive as we all eat in different schedules. We looked at the Hard Rock but I think it is just too far out. My oldest daughter and her boyfriend may want to go clubbing a couple of nights and if we decide to go into town I want to be able to do it quickly not a ½ hour + drive.

The last time we were in Puerto Vallarta we were at the Melia but I am worried it might be too young for them now as it was three years ago. We haven't set a budget yet so any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

new york
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for some suggestions

Morgan,

Stay somewhere in the hotel zone. You'll be closer to town. My suggestion is Now Amber. It's all inclusive and has good food. It has an entertainment staff and a kids club for little ones. It has 3 different pools and one of them has a swim up bar.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for some suggestions

Holiday Inn in the hotel zone has everything your looking for and their beach chairs never run out : ) the entertainment staff was great when i was there with a girlfriend last june, they'll take you out at night for 3500 pesos and it includes your cab ride as well not to mention open bar. if you decide to stay there, book a junior suite as high up in the sea river tower as you can, they're super spacious and the view is to die for !! i've also heard great things about canto del sol, just a few blocks away from holi :) good luck !!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,040 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for some suggestions

I think the poster above me meant 350 pesos (3500 pesos would be over $300). (-;

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,768 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for some suggestions

I have to suggest Velas Vallarta in the marina.....has something for everyone. Beach, great pools, great grounds, swim up bar, cheap cab and short ride into town for clubbing, or they offer to take you to different clubs for a fee, set you up, and even provide cab too..and yes around 350 pesos. Entertainment staff are great. Perfect all around resort with great food, 24 hour room service...check my reviews...we just got back from a week there with 3 generations, though my review nor pics are done yet.

Sending you a PM....

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for some suggestions

whoops yes I meant 350 pesos lol 300 dollars is pretty steep hahaha thanks !!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,137 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for some suggestions

Definitely agree with points made by Zebra and Alexandra. Hotel Zone, definitely (with everything you've told us) --- you can get to almost any club in PV within 10 minutes.

You said you hadn't set a budget as yet but, when you talked about wanting everyone to be "happy," the first place that came to mind was Canto del Sol. I stayed there for 2 weeks within the recent past and that is a happy place. There are activities every day, it's very casual and friendly, the staff is great and besides being nearby clubs on the main drag (such as J&B, if anyone like salsa), the Activities Staff takes people downtown to the clubs at night (very late) so you don't have to go alone. Same type of thing Alexandra mentioned. Evening shows are a blast. Lots of interactive participation.

I can't attest to the AI food program since I don't do AI but everything I heard was very positive. They have people working at the place who have been there for years. Everyone loves the pool bartenders. I began to think of it as "home" what with the maids looking out for me.

Do check it out. It's a little dated (has been reno'd recently but it's been around for awhile) and the balconies seemed quite small to me but Canto del Sol has a ton ro recommend it -- AND --- if you get tired of the food there and want to go out, the bus stop and taxi stand are very close and there are actually some very good restaurants right close by. Also an OXXO and La Playa are a short walk, for snacks and drinks. I would go back there in a snap.

7. Re: Looking for some suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 08, 2014