We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
267 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

I just wanted everyone to be aware that two of the people that I travelled with Feb this year have both had their bank cards comprimised and funds taken from their account in excess of over $500.00 yesterday (just for one person) We were there between Feb 2-16.

Since one of the people that we travelled with (that had their card scammed) only used their bank card twice and at the same bank machine, I have verified that it was the bank machine on Olas Atlas and Rodolfo Gomez, a few buildings away from Trattoria Michel. I think its a HSBC, although my receipts from the machine all say "Cibanco." The bank machine is attached to the bank and there was always line ups for the machine and for the bank. Maybe somebody else can verify the bank name. I guess you can't be too careful. This will be the last time I use a bank machine in PV since this is the second time this has happened in the past 4 years. They waited till we were home for a month before trying to take money out. In one case, they got the money, but their bank at home reversed the charges yesterday. (same day the money was taken) In the other case, the bank caught it before releasing the money. They contacted her yesterday and told her to come get a new card.

Thanks,

Michelle Auger

McMinnville, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
281. Re: ****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

My wife and I were victims of the same crime, just yesterday. We both used the Cibanco ATM in PV close to Los Muertes Pier. They took me for close to $800, her card had very little in the account so they did not get anything from her. Its been about 2 months since we were there. The info was used at an ATM in Guadalajara. My bank is going to refund my money, but still, it hurt us pretty bad.

ND
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
282. Re: ****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

The machine at this location has a history of skimming cards going back to at least February. I am amazed that it has continued this long at this location.

Cathedral City...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
283. Re: ****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

We used the Ci Banco machine in PV and were warned about it after the fact. The transaction took place on July 12, 2013. Sure enough, today (September 1st) there was a fraudulent transaction posted to our bank account from an HSBC in Jalisco. Thankfully Wells Fargo took care of the problem right away and there was no damage to the account. According to the folks we spoke to in PV and confirmed by this experience and this blog posting, Ci Banco ATM's are to be avoided at all costs. It's been close to a year and the problem is ongoing -- I smell collusion.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
284. Re: ****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

The way this works is due to a new invention that can be slipped into the credit card slot and records card info. The perp then comes along after a while and takes it out. Hence when complaints are made and the bank checks there is nothing wrong. Of course they then hit the same machine later. It's not unique to Mexico. Happens at home too. One safe guard is to use an ATM that is inside the bank. As to chips.. more common in Europe. For some reason US banks are behind on this.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
285. Re: ****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

284 post later still a hassle

spray paint the monitor out of service fuera de servicio

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,738 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
286. Re: ****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

Guys! Change your pin #'s when you get home!

toronto
Level Contributor
711 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
287. Re: ****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

Deana, that is what you said a year or so ago, I did hear you and did it upon returning home. Great tip, thank you.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,738 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
288. Re: ****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

Hi Shely,

Yes, I know I said it a year ago. I was just trying to help the new posters who decided to pick up this thread again from June 17. Sometimes people don't read the whole thread before they post or add to it. I always try do that so I don't repeat what has already been said. This particular thread has 29 pages. Just trying to be helpful here..... :)

Edited: 10:36 am, September 02, 2013
SoCal
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
289. Re: ****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

Changing the PIN doesn't help if it is used for a credit card transaction, which is what happened to me. The first time it was used to buy $500 worth of drugs in Spain, the second time it was used to buy two airline tickets. Changing the PIN would only prevent the card from bring used at an ATM.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
339 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
290. Re: ****Warning - Bank machine skimmer****

Some good advice here. I'll add that once you are home, account for all your charges/withdraws. When all area accounted for, call your bank and inform them. Ask that they "red flag" any charges/withdraws thereafter. Banks sometimes leave a date cushion for charges to post.

I remember about 20 years ago, before cell phones were the norm, phone cards would be stolen with very sophisticated technology. The thief would dial the phone at the airport. The person trying to make an outgoing would answer the phone to hear a dial tone, get disconnected, hang up, pick up to try to make a call. The tap had been placed on the phone. Dial tone technology encrypted the card and pin. Voila!! A $4 billion a year fraud industry.

Remember, too that RFID chips in credit cards and passports can be scanned without your knowledge. Again, airports are the most vulnerable areas. Your credit card can be scanned from your wallet or purse. The passport if its open.

What a crazy world we live in!