We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AC in Puerto Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
295 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
AC in Puerto Vallarta

I inquired about a newer condo in Zona Romanitca. As part of the agreement the owner informed me that "You will have an electricity allowance for the rental period of 500.00 PESOS There is an individual meter that will be read at your arrival and again at your departure. " WHAT?!

Another condo owner requested we don't use the AC at all. (?!) That isn't an option since our dates are in June. Those responses were a huge turn off and we won' t do business with those people - after all it is a business transaction. We have been visiting PV yearly sometimes twice a year for 15 years and have never encountered this type of attitude? Is this some sort of new trend?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: AC in Puerto Vallarta

sitting in my room typing with no fan no a/c and door and windows closed

very comfortable

at times i turn on the a/c just to freshen the room a little like 10-15 minutes at 27 C

even during the summer i set the a/c at 26C for an hour or two aday

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: AC in Puerto Vallarta

<Why would they have the A/C on full blast hours before I checked in>

Plus they have central AC and the cost difference is probably minimal.

Stores with AC and open doors usually have a AC curtain blower over the door. You're got to choose, open inviting door v. really hot.

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: AC in Puerto Vallarta

The hotel where I stayed in Mexico City last month had that system where you needed to put your room card in a special slot for any lights or a/c to operate. So the technology is available here.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: AC in Puerto Vallarta

The condo we just rented had no restriction on the AC and only had information to work the unit There was no extra charge for it either. I'm sure she just allowed for it in the cost of the rental.

Almost all of the properties I've stayed in the mayan use the key card thing in the slot and have for at least 14 years. At least that's the first time I've been aware of it there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: AC in Puerto Vallarta

post #39 re what most people expect?......hmmmm.....I'm arriving in these places in Spring to Fall. It's not supposed to be 55-60F in people's rooms in Puerto Vallarta. Why would anyone come to PV to freeze? They can freeze at home.

Most people coming to PV when I do expect what I expect. The tropics --- with some cross-breezes and some A/C to cut any intense heat and humidity. Most just left freezing temps to travel south so to get them in their room upon arrival is a bit of a shock to the system. In the two instances I mentioned this past year, I bet those A/C units had been going full-bore for 3 hours.

I think it's an "education issue" in that we who are coming south to enjoy the tropics and all PV (and other areas have to offer) need to gently tell owners or resort managers that we don't need to be greeted with a major cold front on arrival. In a nice way, of course.

I have an idea. Since I always give a nice tip to the bell people who take my luggage to the room and who explain where all the light fixtures are, etc. --- the next time this happens, I'll give the guy his tip and tell him to call me on my cell in two hours, after the cold front has subsided in my room. It usually takes that long to get the room habitable. I'm not a polar bear.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: AC in Puerto Vallarta

We stayed at the Grand Mayan last year as we had some visitors with us & the one lady could not stand the heat & wanted the A/C on in her suite. She had tried & couldn't get it to work so asked me for help, i tried everything but same result "Nada" but there was a little flashing "PD" in the thermostat. When I called down to the front desk they said the patio door was not closed properly, i checked & yes it still had 1/2" to go, i closed it & the A/C started right up.

Edited: 9:00 pm, March 04, 2013
Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: AC in Puerto Vallarta

I am one of those crazy people you see here in a sweater and boots as soon as it gets 70 degrees F :) But then I also come from Minnesota, land of the extremes. When I moved to Vallarta in Sept. of 2002- it was hotter and more humid that day in Minneapolis. Now I simply hate both the cold and the heat.

Mismaloya, Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
48. Re: AC in Puerto Vallarta

Hola... I live in PV... I rent a nice ocean-front studio near Mismaloya. My rent includes all utilities including electric... however, if I run A/C I too only have a $500 Peco credit and must pay the overage. It only sence! It is EASY to sit back for 5 months with the AC running on high the entire time and have an electric bill of over 6000 Pecos a month... You can't really expect the condo owner to loose money on your visit can you? The same practice has existed for years in many European countries too regarding clothes dryers and AC.

49. Re: AC in Puerto Vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, May 02, 2014