We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boston...
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

Wanted to thank all on the forum for the great tips and advice. Learned allot about PV and SP which made the first time easier. For us, Myself, Wife, and Daughter, PV wins over Cancun and Mayan Riviera. Walk out of your hotel and into a real city, loved it. Did AI but also ate at Blakes, fantastic turkey dinner, Cafe Roma, pizza, wings and Kareoke, and Cheekey Monkey, wings, huge onion rings and churros. Visited The Malecon, Cruise Port, and Old Town. Only regret was not making it to Bucerias. Sunset Plaza was everything that we thought it would be. Service, food, drink, all fantastic. Great room and view, and enough families with children for our 10 year old to play with. Anyone with questions about SP I will try to answer. Again thanks to all on the forum.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

Glad you enjoyed your time in PV, now you are hooked like the rest of us!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

We're going to be at Sunset Plaza in March. What was the beach situation like? Could you lounge down there and swim?

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! We're very excited. It is our first trip to PV.

Boston...
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

Hooked we are. Beach is small. Yes you can swim. As for lounging there is a few beds and a few lounges available. High tide covers most of the beach. There are plenty of lounges that look out over the beach at hotel level. One area by the adult pool is sanded filled and has lounges overlooking the beach. Turn right and head north a little and the beach is wider in spots. What's nice is that if you are at the pool or the hot tubs you have a great view of the bay from just about any spot. We watched a whale in the bay while in the pool. Have a great trip!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,476 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

How was the AI? Variety? Room Service? Sit down meals or buffet or both? Alcohol., quality or no? Upcharge for better alcohol or no? Quality of food? Coffee makers in rooms and frig? Do they stock the frig with sodas , water, beer etc daily? Snacks stocked in room daily or no? Coffee packets in room or no?

Amenities included like soap, shampoo, hair conditioner, body lotion? Facecloths? Sufficient water pressure and hot water? Sufficient plugs?

Internet, any areas free or charge everywhere.? Cost of internet in room? Is it per device ?

Thanks lots of ??'s I know...glad you enjoyed it is on my list of to try.

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

Hi bezerk, no buffet, the food was very good, and I don't know about any up charge for alcohol as we just drank what they gave us. The answer to all your other questions is yes. And free Internet in room - they give you a password. I don't know if it was good for more than one device as I only had iPad with me, hubby had left his laptop over at Plaza Pelicanos Grand for the time we were at Sunset. I think everything you found lacking at PPG you will find to your liking at Sunset Plaza.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,476 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

Thanks Saxxton....I am trying to get a trade into there. After touring it a few weeks ago I liked the property, the layout and the rooms, so would like to try for a week, my concern was food...not fond of buffets though can make due. Coffee maker in room and stocked frig is a biggie for me when on AI. Free internet awesome.

Thanks so much for your input going to keep trying till I find a trade into it..LOL...PPG was just okay...but not a return visit place for me...but fun to try places...

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

I was at Sunset Plaza March 2012 with my girlfriends. We had the best time. The food was the best! No buffets at all. ALL alacarte! Every meal is ordered off a menu and served with the best of both quality and quantity. Best AI EVER! If you don't like buffets, this is most definitely the place to go!

Beach was okay but we did spend most of our time at the pool. You can walk downtown but we usually took a taxi.

Service at this resort was top notch! Would go back in a heartbeat!

By far one of the top 5 resorts I have stayed at and I travel to Mexico 3 times per year...minimum.

Boston...
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

Bezerk, I can't agree more with the above responses. Nothing bad to say. Food was great at both restaraunts. Fresh made breakfeast, just tell then what you want for sides and they will add on. Many choices for lunch, can be brought right to your lounger. Great steaks for dinner, best I've had in Mexico. Alcohol was premium brands. Each bar had one shelf with about five bottles that were marked not for AI. Once I see Don Julio I'm happy. Drinks made with real fruit, mudslides made with Baileys and Kahlua, no mixes or generics. Modello lite and dark on tap. I really enjoyed the dark. Plenty of hot water, pressure okay. Snacks in room, fridge filled with what you want, just leave a note. Don't remember the brand of bath amenities, but they were plentiful. Didn't do room service, menu looked good, 10% charge. Alcohol included in room service as long as you order food. Maid service late morning, turn down early evening. Hope this helps.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Returned From Sunset Plaza

Hi Bezerk : We spent our 2nd time at SPB last Thanksgiving, still one of our favorites for accommodations and AI... there is a good variety of food at the 2 ala carte restaurants, the main restaurant 'the Mirador' was available for breakfast, lunch and dinner and has 3 alternating menus (Bistro, Italian & Mexican) and very accommodating to prepare anything youd like as long as the ingredients are available; the Italian restaurant 'Lucianos' was open for breakfast and dinner, the same menu nightly and did have some items with an upcharge (shrimp 90 pesos, 'angus' steaks and lobster 120 pesos, lobster the only upcharge at Mirador), filet of beet w/pasta, salmon, chicken or veal and vegetarian lasagna are also available; plus there is a small deli for lunch with indoor and outdoor seating. We didn't take advantage of room service, but it was available as someone already commented on. There is also an upcharge for bottled beer, select top shelf liquor and wines by the bottle. There is a coffee maker in the room but you only get a complementary coffee package on your first day, charged for more packets (we brought our own coffee/filters) or you can order a pot of coffee from room service with only a 10% delivery charge. The fridge is full size in with a freezer in the one bedroom suite, and will be stocked daily with 2 half size can sodas and beer daily as well as 2 bottles of water, you can leave a note (w/tip) in refrigerator 'mas cervasas, refrescos y agua, por favor lol' for more, or if youre lucky to be in your room in the afternoon when they replenish, youll have your pick of the cart. The one bedroom suite with 2 baths with had plenty of towels and face cloths in each bathroom; when we were there previously they had crabtree & evelyn products, last year they had Almond & Olive 'Spa Grade' Toiletries : Cleansing Facial Soap w/Fig & Olive : Vanila & Almond, Oatmeal Bath Soap : Almond & Olive Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower Gel & Body Lotion. They also offer a pillow menu and aroma menu room sprays, the Sandalwod, Green Tea and Patchouli are not as strong or 'flowery' as the others. Also, the one bedroom suite has 1 bath with shower and a master bath with a second shower and jacuzzi tub; sufficient plug but takes a while to fill up and plenty of hot water and water pressure in the tub, showers and sinks. Internet was free and we had no interruptions with service in the room, lobby or even with the ipad/iphone at the pool. - Joe