We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta Customs question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
514 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta Customs question

Hello -

We have some friends who are in PV right now and if I understood it correctly (note - this information is second hand!), they were not able to bring any food into Mexico with them (peanuts and I am not sure what else). Is this a new rule?

I am not a big breakfast eater and usually bring granola bars with for myself, along with a bag of candy/chips etc. for the kids to eat on the plane to and from Mexico (as well as in Mexico) - stuff like starburst, jolly ranchers, licorice, pringles.

I do this every year when we go to Mexico. Please tell me this was random and not a new requirement!.

Thanks!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
252 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta Customs question

Just got back on Saturday without any problems. We had Clif bars and other snacks with us both ways. We even brought some fruit to eat on the way back home. I heard something about seeds, but not sure about it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta Customs question

We had no problems although we had a few things. However, you should keep the items in original packaging just in case. But as of last month, there were no concerns.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,380 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta Customs question

Plants and seed are 2 no-no's. Maybe the peanuts because they come from a plant....and might be thought of as a seed....but a little far afield if you ask me. But I suppose a peanut could still harbor a desease.

I have never had anything taken of the normal things like you mentioned....chips, bars, candy... in fact I always have Jolly Rancher's when I fly, and always have some left for my return trip home. I don't think you'll have any problem.

Edited: 6:24 pm, February 20, 2013
Seattle
Level Contributor
44,235 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta Customs question

Never happend to me. I always have cashews (from the airport) and a few granola type bars with me. But then again I've never gotten the red light, so no one's ever looked in my bag!

suze

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
514 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta Customs question

Whew! Good to know - thanks everyone! :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta Customs question

Just don't lie on any questions or documents when entering Mexico or re-entering your own country. I would rather have something confiscated than to lie, get caught, and have to deal with that.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta Customs question

This Traveler's Information page from the Mexican Secretary of Agriculture website gives "peanuts" as a specific example of a product that is considered an importation risk. http://senasica.gob.mx/?id=602

I'm not that wonderful at translations, but here's an excerpt:

These products included in the declarations form are not limited to foods or meals, fruits, flowers, vegetables, meats, sausages, milks, seeds, propagative material (in vitro, seedlings, cuttings, bulbs), veterinary drugs, biologicals, food for pets or animals, wild fauna and flora (in coordination with PROFEPA), flour, grains and oilseeds, dry products (e.g. peanut and hibiscus flower) and dehydrated products (e.g. apricots), among others, on your arrival please DECLARE ALL PRODUCTS! , AVOID SETBACKS!, an evaluation by official personnel will tell you if you can enter, if you should do any paperwork of if definitively you should return the product or send it for destruction.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Vallarta Customs question

I think a lot depends on who you get working the customs line when you go through. I have brought trail mix, peanuts, jerky and various other snack items in for years and the last time I brought jerky in sealed, never opened bags they took it. When they confiscate milk bone dog biscuits you know that's going over the top but they have done it to people I know on more than one occasion.

I say bring it if t is something you really want to bring. If they take it, they take it that is all that will happen.

Edited: 3:09 am, February 21, 2013
Oregon
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Vallarta Customs question

We brought a frozen turkey years ago for Christmas, just had to grease some palms in the cutoms room. ;)

Westport, Washington
Level Contributor
207 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Vallarta Customs question

i had peanuts coming from cancun and had to throw them away as the bag was open, customs said if bag was closed/sealed would have been no problem

on way in we got the red light and they were more concered about my 1 year olds milk than his goodie bag