We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton or Sheraton Puerto Vallarta?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Hilton or Sheraton Puerto Vallarta?

Has anybody been to both locations? Is there anything that makes one place better than the other? We at having a difficult time choosing. Any info is appreciated! Thanks

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton or Sheraton Puerto Vallarta?

I have not stayed at the HIlton, but it does have a much nicer beach. the beach at the Sheraton has huge rocks and not great for swimming but has one of the biggest pools (with swimup bar) in the area, and the hotel is walking distance to town; the Sheraton also has a very affordable AI option (check out my review) if your are staying on the 'hotel' side of the property, but expesive to add on to a time share stay.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton or Sheraton Puerto Vallarta?

One thing that should clearly set them apart is that the Hilton is brand-new, in case that matters to you. I always think it's fun to try a new place. When I stayed at the Sheraton 5 years ago, it was a bit long in the tooth but I know they've done some upgrades since.

Hilton is walking distance to Super Soriana, WalMart and Sam's (and the Maritime Terminal, in case you're taking any water tours). You would have to take the bus (right out on the curb) to get to downtown and southside. Sheraton is walking distance to Mega and Centro.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton or Sheraton Puerto Vallarta?

I've never stayed either place, but the Sheraton is quite a bit more convenient to Centro.

suze

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton or Sheraton Puerto Vallarta?

The time share side of the Sheraton may be 'long in the tooth'... we stayed on the hotel side of the property and even the standard accommodations seemed new or recently upgraded.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton or Sheraton Puerto Vallarta?

That's what I already said right above you, suze.

Also, JNS ---- I think the timeshares have been upgraded lately also as good friends stayed there for 3 weeks last month and they do give good reports on Club Buganvilias, based on comparing the last time they were there four years ago. I know it's way better now than 5 years ago.

The OP didn't really say what they meant by "better" (a subjective term, based on individual preferences) but I hope some of this helps.

One of my things lately is if the wifi-access is up to speed and is free. It's at the top of my list (higher than having a nice beach and pool) to stay in touch with the grandchildren and my elderly mother. I rode on Alaska Airlines down to PV in November with a gentleman whose job it was to set up the initial Internet services at the Hilton and he guaranteed me they would top of the line. With that (and a new hotel), it's enough for me to book there. But, we're all different and have different priorities. Some people like the beach. I have to have easy/free wifi, due to family needs.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton or Sheraton Puerto Vallarta?

If I had to stay in a hotel, I would probably go with the Hilton. The Sheraton may have a better all-around atmosphere if that matters to you and it is closer to town, but the Hilton is newer and was very well put together.

7. Re: Hilton or Sheraton Puerto Vallarta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 20, 2014