We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information about PV

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
11 posts
Save Topic
Information about PV

I am looking to on a 5 night stay in VP and staying at Riu Palace. I have herd lots of strange things about VP and an scared to spend the money on it. I was wondering if they dump raw sewage in the ocean and is it dirty there? I don't want to come home sick. So what am I in for?

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information about PV

What is VP - do you mean PV? If i'm not mistaken, the Riu is in Nuevo Vallarta, not Puerto Vallarta - maybe i'm not reading this right

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Information about PV

We've been going at least twice a year now for almost 10 years and never had a problem with swimming in the ocean, especially away from where the river flows into it. And even there it's just that the water is a little cloudy, just like the Atlantic off the US East Coast. There are beautiful beaches to the North and especially South of downtown. Come on down and enjoy.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,875 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information about PV

RIU Palace is out in Nuevo Vallarta, the resort area to the north of Puerto Vallarta. It's not even in PV. Where exactly are you hearing these "strange things"?

11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Information about PV

I was told to book at the Palace cause its newer. I know it's not in PV, but I don't know the exact distance between the 2. I am new to Mexico and trying educate myself before going. Could you give me more info on PV and Nuevo Vallarta?

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Information about PV

Here's a link to the Nuevo Vallarta Forum -- you might wish to post there - for more information from those who choose to stay there.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154267-i323-Nuevo_…

Wisco
Level Contributor
97 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Information about PV

There is plenty of information about PV and NV on this site and many others for you to educate yourself... You will be the only one who can determine what you want to believe and what you don't... Best of luck.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,222 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Information about PV

There is also a huge amount of information in the Top Questions section on the right hand side of this forum page. --->

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Information about PV

The Riu Palace is very nice and has access to the other Riu's (Vallarta and Jalisco) that are right close. It is about a 40min. bus ride into Puerto Vallarta town and quick to the north to the smaller town of Bucerias. The beaches in nuevo are very long and you can walk for miles either way, even into Bucerias.

But if you stay out there, don't miss going into PV. The malecon is very interesting and if you go further south into the southside, there are many great restaurants and bars that should not be missed.

I don't mind the bus into town (you transfer once, so two busses, but very easily) for about 14 pesos total and if you take a cab, we don't do it, but maybe about 200 pesos (someone else will have to comment on that). If you only go into town once or twice and are just planning on enjoying the resort, than the Riu Palace is great.

If you want to be in town every day for shopping or walking around, it's not as convenient to go to town every day.

We like taking the bus and find no issues. Also, Bucerias has great little restaurants and shops and shouldn't be missed.

Good luck:)

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Information about PV

It's also fun, but even more expensive, to take the water taxi from the NV marina to the pier on the south side, and it's worth it for the view. But we only do a one way fare and take a regular taxi back.

AR
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Information about PV

I have been going to PV for over 20 years...usually 4-5 times a year and have never even been mildly ill from anything other than an "overdose" of tequila a time or two....that, of course, was my own doing. I have stayed over the years in at least 6 different resorts and all of them were spotless. I now stay at Hacienda or one of the Los Arcos properties. These hotels have a high percentage of Nationals staying at them. Though older and much more cultural, they are all spotless and I have "caught" nothing from eating the food, drinking the water/drinks with ice, swimming in the pools or the bay. After a rain, the bay water is often cloudy around/near where the various rivers/streams from the mountains empty into it. It is very easy to avoid swimming in those areas if that bothers you. As was previously stated, go to the Top Questions section at the top, right side of this page and read the comments, but ultimately (also already stated) only you can decide