We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car company

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Orlando , Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental car company

What is the best rental car company in puerto vallarta , no hidding fees.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car company

Over the years, I have probably rented from all the big rental car companies in Puerto Vallarta. I have never had a problem with any of them.

As a general observation, I have noted that rental companies in Puerto Vallarta tend to pay more attention to minor dents, dings and scratches than rental car companies back in the U.S. So, I am more diligent in making sure that the inspection report shows all damages before I drive the car off the lot. Better safe than sorry!

Although I have no experience with them, I have read many recommendations for Gecko Rent a Car on the various Puerto Vallarta forums: http://www.geckorentcar.com/

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,908 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car company

National worked fine for us last trip. Been renting for years in PV for just a couple days each trip and have used multiple companies with no problems. National's site will give you all the insurance plan choices with explanations of coverage for each. Liability is mandantory in Mexico. But, bottom line for us...we buy full Mexican insurance, we feel we're the most protected that way in Mexico.

edit - agreed....Gecko seems to be the one that people don't complain about.

Edited: 11:22 am, February 10, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mississippi
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car company

We just returned from Puerto Vallarta (July, 2013), where we rented a car from Gecko Rental Cars (www.geckorentcar.com), and we could not be more pleased. Based on other comments about renting cars in PV, we were concerned about being taking advantage of (hidden costs, extra insurance, etc.). We found Gecko to be the "real deal," providing a late model, automatic car at a fair, all-inclusive price. Because we were staying south of the airport in the hotel zone (Gecko's office is located north of the airport), they delivered our car to us in the parking lot immediately outside the arrivals hall, as promised. A Gecko agent was waiting for us with our car, and the paperwork and exchange of funds (we paid the quoted rate in U.S. cash) took less than five minutes. The car was spotlessly clean, full of gas, and ready to go.

The return of the car was as easy as picking it up. We met the Gecko agent outside the departure terminal at the appointed time. He simply looked the car over, asked how we enjoyed our visit, and sent us on our way. No hidden costs, no extra insurance (all required insurance included in the price), and no hassle. The car we had was a 2013 Dodge Attitude (similar to a Hyundai Elantra) four-door, automatic sedan with AC. The rental cost, inclusive of all taxes and insurance, was $50 per 24 hour period. You cannot go wrong with Gecko --- check it out at www.geckorentcar.com.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car company

Gecko is the best. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with them.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car company

Thank you Mark, for sharing your positive experience with Gecko. These days, I usually drive my own car from here in Guadalajara, to Puerto Vallarta. But, the next time I arrive in Vallarta by bus, or plane, I'll certainly give Gecko a try.

Regards,

Matt

Mentioned in this post
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Mississippi
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car company

Matt,

Glad the information was helpful. Based on our experience with Gecko, you will not be disappointed. By the way, the names of the co-owners of Gecko are: Lalo and Denis.

Hasta Luego!

Mark

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,378 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car company

I have been renting from Magno Car Rentals off and on for 24 years and have never had any problems with them. I use the location across the street from the Sheraton on Francisco Medina. Telephone # 322-222-6546. They are National Mexican Company with locations in PV, Guadalajara and Monterrey.

Mentioned in this post
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
Monterrey
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,991 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car company

Agree about Gecko. The only thing people should note is that their specialty is north of town (Bucerias, Punta Mita, etc.) so it´s often hard to get a vehicle in high season, especially just for a day.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car company

That's why you should go to their website and book in advance, on-line :)

10. Re: Rental car company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 12, 2014