We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental -getting confused

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Car rental -getting confused

Can't understand the car rental insurance coverages in Puerto Vallarta. It appears that I will need to buy liability insurance from the rental company since my Manitoba Liability Insurance is not valid in Mexico. Some rental sites in PV, as I understand it, suggest that Collision/Loss Damage Insurance supplied by your credit card (mine is TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite) is not valid. However, in 2011, when I checked with Visa, they said that Mexico was not excluded from their coverage. I guess my basic question is "Is Collision/Loss Damage Insurance coverage from Visa valid in PV and/or is this rental company specific?" I will also recheck with Visa provider this year. Suggestions for best value/reliable car rental companies in PV also appreciated. We are staying in the Marina area.

Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car rental -getting confused

We've been traveling to the Punta Negra area near Punta Mita, north of PV, for years and have frequently rented cars from Gecko in Bucerias. They are very reliable and reasonable. They leave a car for you at the airport and you simply drive the car to their rental office and sign the papers when there. When you need to get to the airport to leave PV, you go back to the rental shop, complete the paperwork to terminate your contract with them and then they take you to the airport. At least that's how it's always worked in the past. They have very dependable cars as well and well maintained.

We are using them again this year when we travel to PV area in February.

Adam has worked there for years and will take your reservation by email without any deposit required. You just let him know your arrival date & time and airlines and he'll have the car waiting for you at the airport. The airport staff has prearranged to have you leave the parking lot with Gecko's cars.

It's a great service.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car rental -getting confused

We have rented cars from three different companies. Gecko is the only one we would use again.

13. Re: Car rental -getting confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 11, 2014