We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking pottery/breakables home in your carry-on

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,871 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
taking pottery/breakables home in your carry-on

I've been confused on just what the deal is with breakables in carry-ons these days. I don't risk it anymore, but I wanted to know for sure.

After I went through security when leaving PV on December 8th, I asked the guy who was supervising the entire security operation whether we can have them or not. He kindly said, "no, they aren't allowed".

So, like a little kid.....just to see how serious they are about it I asked, "If someone doesn't know the rule and they have them in their carry-on....they still have to leave them here?"... he shook his head yes, and made a sad face :-(

So there you have it....the official policy at the PV airport when departing, is they aren't allowed in carry-ons. I still think some are getting through, and wonder how hard they focus on ceramics....but I didn't ask.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: taking pottery/breakables home in your carry-on

I have nothing to substantiate this, but back last year when people were talking about having ceramics confiscated at PVR, someone told me (so yes, this is hearsay) that explosive materials are sometimes hidden inside ceramic items (presumably when they're molded). I didn't check my bowls for C4, but they seemed fine.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,768 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: taking pottery/breakables home in your carry-on

pvdeb- that's very interesting. And, what is C4? (sorry- I don't know!). YIKES!

I was thinking the pottery/ceramics/wood/glass thing for Alaska Airlines might be that it can be broken or "charred" (sp?) and could possibly be used as a weapon? IDK.

What someone could do if they tried to take it in carry-on and the airline said "no"- they could quickly shove it in their suitcase right then and there at the "check-in" counter. As long as you're not over 50lbs, you are good to go! Otherwise, you will have to pay more $ to get those precious ceramics home.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: taking pottery/breakables home in your carry-on

C-4 = plastique type explosives

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: taking pottery/breakables home in your carry-on

It was a lava stone mocahete that we had confiscated from carry on, and it was taken by the TSA type security..

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
282 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: taking pottery/breakables home in your carry-on

When we travel to PV we always like to buy a piece of Mata Ortiz pottery. I had heard about the rules set by Alaska about wood,glass and pottery not being allowed on carry on luggage. On our last trip we asked about this when we checked in at Alaska for our flight home and were told you can't carry it thru securrity but it can be purchased in the duty free shops. There is a very nice Mata Ortiz shop in duty free where we were able to buy two very nice pieces.

We did look at some pottery in PV and found the prices at the airport shop to be good .

Alot of shops in duty free sell things in glass,perfume,liquor etc. Don't know how they could sell it to you and then not allow you to take it on the plane.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,332 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: taking pottery/breakables home in your carry-on

Wow - never heard such a thing, and I probably bring pottery back from every trip. If not actually pottery, those ceramics tree of life or candelabras.

I remember thinking the bubble-wrapped 14" talavera planter could be full of cocaine for all they cared when my carry on was searched before boarding in Mexico City. All they were looking for were bottle shaped objects. The roundish (bottle shaped?) boxes of Abuelita chocolate aroused more suspicion than my flower pot.

suitcaseready.com

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
27. Re: taking pottery/breakables home in your carry-on

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 23, 2013