We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile router wifi hotspot

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
mobile router wifi hotspot

I want to buy a mobile router wifi hotspot so my husband can use his iPad in Puerto Vallarta. (Our hotel has very expensive, unreliable wifi.) Telcel lists two on their website but no prices. Can anyone suggest a good place to buy this (along with a chunk of data for a two week period)? Does anyone have an idea of what they cost in Puerto Vallarta? I also have the option of buying an unlocked one in the U.S. and just getting a sim card in Mexico. I'm not a techie person and will need help setting up either option and my Spanish is limited.

Thanks.

Marlie

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Vallarta Shores
Vallarta Shores
#5 of 122 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Casa Cupula
Casa Cupula
#7 of 122 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
#8 of 122 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,764 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: mobile router wifi hotspot

I have an iPad and got a hotspot on my iPhone just recently. Love it. That way I have easy access to wifi if the hotels doesn't work very well. My iPad goes with me on every trip, so this is going to help a lot. No extra cords or hook ups . Easy as can be.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: mobile router wifi hotspot

Do you have an iPhone? If so, check with your carrier and see how much it would cost to use the roaming data. You can use your iPhone as a mobile router for your iPad. I'm not sure about the other carriers but with Verizon you will receive a text message when you arrive in Mexico with instructions on how to purchase 100MB of data for $25. I think the Sunday edition of the NYT is about 10MB and daily editions are 4-6MB (assuming you read every article) so 100MB should give you 3-4 weeks of NYT reading and you can monitor your usage on your iPhone

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,764 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: mobile router wifi hotspot

Sean C .....

Good idea. I agree. :)

34. Re: mobile router wifi hotspot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 16, 2014