We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Exchange

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Money Exchange

Staying at the Friendly PV, is there any good spots to exhange money near that area that has decent rates other than the Hotel.

Also are there any good restaurants and night clubs within walking distance of there that you would recommend.

We are there Dec05-15th.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Exchange

I don't know that part of town very well, but there are definitely "cambios" (exchange booths and windows) all over town. There will be a sign with the daily rates posted.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Exchange

There is a CiBanco about 4 blacks down south of your resort on the same side of the street as your resort. You can hop the bus or walk it you feel like it. They give some of the best rates. Some landmarks on the opposite side of the street are Blockbuster Video and Goodyear Tire.

Blake's Sports Bar is there for good food. If you walk across that street behind Goodyear Tire is Ocho's Tostados (blue building right on the corner) they have great seafood, little local place, but one of several they have around town.

Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Exchange

Thanks thats good to know save some walking around. I am guessing that these restaurants take american too.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,546 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Exchange

Most (but not all) restaurants will accept USD, just know you'll be paying 25% to 30% more than if you were paying with pesos, pesos are accepted everywhere.

If you exchange dollars you'll need to bring your passport and there is a daily limit. We get our pesos using ATMs, which give the best exchange rate and no daily limit except the limit you you have from your bank.

Edited: 5:57 pm, November 30, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,986 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Money Exchange

As a Canadian, no need at all for you to take USD. You'll lose on the exchange here from CAD to USD, then lose again when you get the rate noted by Teduardo above by using a foreign currency rather than local currency.

Your Canadian dollars exchange to pesos just fine in PV everywhere (banks, casa de cambios, hotel front desks, etc), and right now are worth parity or better against the USD anyways. Just leave the coins at home, they aren't exchangeable.

CiBanco was offering the best cash exchange rates around town, and their ATMs charge the lowest local usage fees.

Edited: 6:04 pm, November 30, 2012
Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money Exchange

Thanks again. We just happen to have a collection of Euros, Pounds and US left over from previous trips that we are going to exchange direct to pesos as needed. Our local exchange wanted to go Euro to Cdn to Mex, so we will hold on til we are there to clean out our collection of travel cash...Cheers!

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money Exchange

Great tips on Canadian money.

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money Exchange

The places where I eat / drink/ buy / exchange do a 12 pesos or 13 pesos to $1 US dollar....even the majority of beach vendors do 12 to 1 or 13 to 1.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Money Exchange

"Our local exchange wanted to go Euro to Cdn to Mex" - when I travel through Vancouver I have exchanged at a place called Custom House and they took my Euro direct to Peso.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money Exchange

-- When exchanging Canadian cash to pesos while 'in' Vallarta, we use the CIBanco cambio in the south side (on Olas Altas, just up from Rodolfo Gomez), and ScotiaBank downtown (on Juarez, across from City Hall).

-- When doing the same, while here in Canada (BC) we use the foreign exchange houses in Vancouver, usually Vancouver Bullion Exchange or Custom House.

Over the past few trips, we have found these exchange facilities to provide 'the' best cash exchange rates on our Canadian dollar to the Mexican peso.