We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why Puerto Vallarta?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
841 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Why Puerto Vallarta?

We've been to Riviera Maya 9 times and once to Puerto Vallarta (in Mexico). The prices for RM have sky rocketed and frankly I'm tired of it - not that those vacations weren't great, just want something new. My hubby wants to go to Dominican Republic, but PV is just sooo much cheaper. Why do you guys go to PV? (I need some valid points to convince hubby and probably a little to convince myself)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why Puerto Vallarta?

we are here now..and to be honest finding it expensive..but love the people...

also it is very hot and humid right now...so hard to do alot..but we are 60.

there are other reasons I do not think we will be back...

we are enjoying our month now though..this is our 3 trip.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why Puerto Vallarta?

Boy, I used my sweater this morning at 7am, was chilly :)

BTW I'm 72

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why Puerto Vallarta?

I've been to Mayan Riviera, Cuba, Dominican and Mazatlan each twice. This January will be my 10th (approx) trip to Puerto Vallarta. That says a lot already about how I feel about PV. In my opinion PV has it all. It has the beaches, the climate, the restaurants, the city and authentic Mexico. There is something for everyone. There are so many day trips you can take on the local buses. There is always as much or as little as you want to do.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
252 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why Puerto Vallarta?

Don't have a lot to compare it to; been to Cancun once. IMO Puerto Vallarta has so much more to offer. There are many different day trips/adventures to partake in, lots of great restaurants and street vendors, beautiful places to stay, and the people are very inviting and friendly. All those things and it is relatively inexpensive. Only thing I would change is the time we get to stay; darn work!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why Puerto Vallarta?

I love PV and have also been to the Mayan a dozen or so times. We are going back again this winter and maybe again in April (can't decide between nuevo, Cabo or the mayan for that trip). We like the weather and the beautiful locations and the restaurants. We eat out quite a bit wether on AI or not. We think it's so pretty and enjoy the town and people.

However, for a beach and snorkelling trip, we would choose the mayan or the caribbean. Just really depends what you are looking for, but for so many reasons, we enjoy returning to PV.

|Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
828 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why Puerto Vallarta?

Hi Regina0079,

There are many reasons that my wife and I keep returning to PV. I will try to list the main ones that come to mind:

To me, the sunsets are the most special time of the day. They are just beautiful. We try to plan our day so we have a good view when the sun goes down. Mango margaritta in hand watching the sun go down. Mmmmm....

The people are the friendliest! We just feel "at home" everywhere we go in PV.

We like to explore the town. We have been going for six (seventh this Jan) years and we have barely scratched the surface on exploring all the fine restaurants available in town. We stay in town on the south side and find it is a very walkable area.

And seeing friends that return at the same time every year. We have been lucky enough to make some very good friends over the years and can't wait to return "home" to see them again.

We have also been to the Dominican Republic, and the beaches, sand, and water are very beautiful! If your goal is to spend all day laying out on the beach and staying on the resort, than this would be great. However, we much prefer staying in PV and interacting with local people and exploring the town. We have found many places with great food and live music that we get out and about to.

Keep in mind that Nuevo is not in PV, but about a half hour to 45 minute cab ride away. They have better beaches than in town, but not all the restaurants and shopping available in town.

Good luck and happy travels, The Cheeseheads

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why Puerto Vallarta?

Forgot to say for this trip in Jan. we are staying a few minutes south in a condo on Playas Gemales Beach, we have stayed in PV and in nuevo as well.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why Puerto Vallarta?

As Gail puts it 'When we stop having fun there we'll find somewhere new'. We first started visiting PV on our honeymoon in '87, and have been going twice a year for the past decade, I guess we still like it.

We rent a south side condo so we are close to everything.

Edited: 1:57 pm, November 19, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,500 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Why Puerto Vallarta?

I say all the time when I run out of things to do, see, eat, drink, try, participate in, support...then I'll find somewhere else that offers me what I want.

As a solo female traveler who has done 25+ trips to this area I'm still not bored, and it's still very affordable for me (I did many trips on a much smaller budget than I have nowadays). It also offers such a wide variety of accommodation for travelers, from the cheap and cheerful hostel variety to fully staffed million dollar villas...and everything in between.

I also find PV an excellent starting place to visit other areas around here. There are so many towns, cities, villages you can visit either as a day trip or a quick overnighter, it's a great "launch pad" to discover more of Mexico.

The people are warm and friendly, the geography is fantastic, the food is superb, the sunsets are a painting each and every day. It's far and away my favourite place I've been so far.

The weather in PV is also very stable and pretty consistent. It's on the same latitude as Hawaii. Depending on the time of year you go the Caribbean can be very windy and can get chilly in the winter months...or at least chillier than it is in PV.

Do you need more? (-;

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why Puerto Vallarta?

"to be honest finding it expensive"

Unless we went to a very upscale restaurant I found things still quite reasonable in Oct and early Nov, certainly much less than what we'd spend at home.