We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for area recommendations in PV

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Livermore...
Level Contributor
7 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for area recommendations in PV

I've been to Mismaloyabefore and loved it but it was isolated (Bardelo for a destination wedding - can't recommend it enough if you're looking for all inclusive) . I'm travelling with a friend in Jan or Feb and am starting to research hotels and resorts, but I'm not sure what area I should be looking in. We are two single women travelling together, so safety and ease of transportation to and from hotel are two main concerns. Thanks!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for area recommendations in PV

Okay, but some more information would be helpful, such as budget, how long are you staying, do you require all inclusive or not, do you want to be walking distance to dining/shopping/nightlife/etc., and are you okay with family resorts or do you want adult only?

This is all important information as accommodations in PV run the gamut from hostels all the way to luxury resorts and villas.

Help us help you. (-:

Edited: 1:14 pm, November 13, 2012
Livermore...
Level Contributor
7 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for area recommendations in PV

Not really looking for hotel recommendations, as I can pretty much figure that stuff out. I'm really just trying to figure out what area I should start looking in. Two single women travelling together...so safety, shopping, ease of transporation to airport....those are the main things I am concerned about. From there I can start figuring out the hotel situation. Thanks!

Livermore...
Level Contributor
7 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for area recommendations in PV

Mostly safety....last time I went I was with a large group and was never by myself. This time I will likely be taking walks by myself and maybe some shopping, so I would like to be in an area that is far from seedy. When we were in Mismaloya, the resort was beautiful and felt very safe, but I felt uncomfortable leaving the property. I'd like to feel safe walking around town. Thanks again!

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for area recommendations in PV

I know plenty of women (my wife included) who walk all over downtown and the south side, often by themselves. As long as you use the same common sense you would in any city Puerto Vallarta is a very safe place.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
7 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for area recommendations in PV

Where would you recommend for us? downtown? southside? Mismaloya is a little too far away from everything but I also don't want to be right smack downtown. I'm a fan of the nicer resorts and when I travel throughout the states I usually stay at Hyatts or the like. Thank you!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for area recommendations in PV

I'd suggest south side or the Conchas Chinas area. No further than that.

Unfortunately your wants for location are unlikely to meet up with your personal needs/wants for hotels. Hotels on the south side are mid range mostly, not Hyatt-types. Independent, non-chain hotels. If you want something with some nicer amenities consider a condo or perhaps a boutique hotel as both are options on the south side and in El Centro.

The large chain resorts are located north of downtown in the hotel zone, marina and Nuevo Vallarta areas. Not as convenient for walking.

Edited: 1:59 pm, November 13, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for area recommendations in PV

In terms of safety, unless you're actively looking for high risk activities or taking a high risk vacation, you are unlikely to encounter safety concerns. Personal responsibility is key of course...if you don't make yourself a target, you won't be one. Just like at home.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for area recommendations in PV

The Sheraton north of downtown PV would be the closest 'chain' hotel to town and has an all-inclusive option, the Villa Premiere a small boutique hotel and the Buenaventura even closer; futher north but still walking distance Now Amber & Secrets (adults only) but they are all-inclusive only. The Hotel Zone may have more options in accommodations (Sunset Plaza Beach, Canto del Sol, Fiesta American, Krystal and even a Hitlon) that you are looking for and located midway between the airport and downtown PV, convenient by bus or a 10 minute cab ride with some local dining and shopping in the area, supermarkets, specialty stores and even chain stores like WalMart, Costco, etc.; with even more options in town or on the southside. Safety not an issue in any of these areas.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for area recommendations in PV

Much more shopping on the south side of town, but only hotels in town, no resorts. Maybe the Dreams Resort would suit you 5-10 min taxi/bus ride to town.

10. Re: Looking for area recommendations in PV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, December 16, 2013