We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best carnitas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Santa Rosa
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best carnitas

Where can you get the best carnitas?

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best carnitas

Where will you be staying? Might help with getting you some responses -

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best carnitas

You can buy carnitas in bulk at Colin's Butchers on V. Carranza, just west of Naranjo. Go early !

Santa Rosa
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best carnitas

We will be staying in the marina area, but I can go into town for good carnitas

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best carnitas

I'll be watching this thread as I just realized, with George's question, that I have carnitas all over our local area (not too far from you.....my fave is La Pinata in Concord, for carnitas and some other fine Mexican dishes) but have never had carnitas in PV. Actually, I can't remember seeing them on the menu too many places.

Hope folks come up with a few good options. Maybe I've been focusing too much on seafood down in PV. Love carnitas though.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best carnitas

Are carnitas specifically made with pork or do they use other meats also.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best carnitas

By definition, carnitas is/are pork. Roasted pork. Around here (huge population of recent Mexican immigrants) carnitas are savory and in a tortilla ---- it's a meal --- but they also show up on restaurant menus here.

As I said, I've never had carnitas in PV. Usually do tacos with fish, chicken or al pastor, so hopefully others will chime in as to where they can be found, Maybe carnitas are called something a little different in PV. Maybe they are only at taco stands. I seriously do not remember ever seeing carnitas on a menu in PV.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best carnitas

A Mexican restaurant owner here in the U.S. from Oaxaca and PV told me that 'Carnitas' in Mexico are always pork and usually sold from a butcher or on street carts and more popluar for breakfast; on Mexican restaurant menus in the U.S. cooked the same way with pork or beef on tacos or plated with tortillas on the side.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best carnitas

Carnitas, like tamales, are not items usually found on a restaurant menu. There is an excellent carnitas place in Bucerias called La Fuente.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best carnitas

El Dorado on the beach have duck carnitas on the "evening" menu as an apply. I have had this several times and would say it is a light meal. The duck is fantastic, the sauce they provide on the side is amazing. For the price point it is a steal. I usually have it sitting at the bar with a beer or glass of wine as my "5 o'clock somewhere" treat.

Edited: 3:43 pm, October 27, 2012
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best carnitas

The Red Cabbage

Not always on the menu but if you let Lola know a day ahead she will have it. Absolutely the best I have ever eaten.

Edited: 10:36 pm, October 27, 2012