We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tigard, Oregon
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

Can somebody please tell me about the Barcelo Resort? The room that we picked is a Junior suite premium club Ocean view but I heard the club premium level rooms are just on a higher floor.. Is there a big difference between the premium club and regular rooms? Does premium club level give usbany other benefit?

How is the all-inclusive in regards to food? How much is a taxi from the hotel to Malecon? Are there any restaurants that are also art galleries or restaurants with interesting art? Where can we find the street vendors that sell? street food and souvenirs?

Thanks in advance :)

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,041 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

The only difference of the 'room' categories is the view... suites on lower levels have pool/garden view, suites on higher levels are above the palms with views of the bay. The standard all-inclusive package includes 3 ala carte dinners and the rest buffet; the club premium package includes unlimited ala carte dinners, an upgraded mini bar, lounge with free internet access and computers, a separate continental breakfast, afternoon appetizers and cocktails and quicker check in and check out. The food is good at the hotel with plenty of options for dining as well as a buffet and snack bar for lunch, all-inclusive is convenient here with not many options for food in the immediate area (except for Tonys of Mismaloya) and a good 20+min commute into town. If youre planning on mainly staying at the hotel club premium may be the way to go, unless you find it worth the extra expense for the view; we usually go into town for most of our dinners so the standard plan works well for us when weve stayed here.

Vendors can be found on the beach, streets and flea market with more in the center of town opposite the Our Lady of Guadalupe church, as well as many shops, galleries, street food and busiest on weekend nights; there are also many options for street food to be found just south of town on the other side of the river north of Insurgentes on Cardenas and Carranza streets. El Arrayan is a more authentic Mexican restaurant with a gourmet touch and showcases its Huichol style art and traditional music, Le Bistro is one of the best for fine dining along the river a museum of sculptures and antiques, as well as the River Cafe that has paintings and jewelry by local artists and Café des Artistes with beautiful murals and sculptures, the three offering jazz or live music; with more eclectic and affordable restaurants on the southside on Basilo Badilo and Olas Atlas.

http://www.vallartasource.com/shopping.php

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
192 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

We stayed at the Barcelo last Thanksgiving

The premium was not the premium I expected based on from my previous visits to the Barcelo Palace in Riviera Maya. The liquor was not top shelf it was pretty basic just like everybody else and I know this because the other family with us at the same liquor in their room as we did. The appetizers and the lounge are pretty much the same thing that you would find in the buffet And they are left out there all day. The Wi-Fi at the resort is horrible we kept having to go back to the lounge and trying to get service all over the hotel. Honestly I'm just not a fan of this resort it is not Barcelo quality. The only good thing about it if you have a big family is the family room suite its accommodating

At the risk of sounding so negative I honestly would tell you to switch to another resort it's just not worth it, There's just nothing four or five star about it

Tigard, Oregon
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately we already booked and I'm not really wanting to pay the fees to rebook. We usually pay around $2000 for a better experience but since this was $1200 before taxes I'm understanding that it won't be the most amazing experience. I unfortunately was spoiled at Me Cancun last year but the person I'm traveling with has never been to puerto vallarta so here we are with Barcelo. We were going to stay at Garza but it was more expensive without breakfast. We really don't need all inclusive since we will go out for dinner but a good breakfast buffet is important. Was breakfast any good?

What were your favorite places for dinner? Have you been back to puerto vallarta since? Is the Barcelo in Cancun a good place to stay? We go to Mexico once a year between Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo San Lucas.

Sorry about all the questions but you seem very honest which is much appreciated :)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

Love the area that Barcelo PV is in. It's so pretty there, if you go out to eat lots, take a walk up to Tony's in Mismaloya, I have not been there, but have heard so much we are going to be going there this Feb. I happen to be a fan of Barcelo's, so I think you will be happy if you know not to expect as high end as the ones you have mentioned. I am going to spend a day there myself.

Their benefits are their huge rooms, their beautiful location (which I have seen) and you have booked the premium, so do take advantage of all that they offer. Whether it's up to the ME's par or not, you have it, so might as well use it. I did really appreciate the private lounge in the mayan at the Barcelo as myhubby likes Canadian whiskey, which he could fine and we used the computers and if we felt like a small snack instead of going to the snack bar or buffet, it would do.

Just enjoy your trip and have a great time:)

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
192 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

We didn't really venture out during our stay at the resort because we had 5 little ones with us but the last day we did take a few detours on the way to the airport and yes the area seems beautiful. That's the most I can say about the area

As far as the resort goes the breakfast buffet is pretty decent. Some breakfast items along with lunch items, omelet bar, some meats/cheeses.

We ate lunch at the pool bar/restaurant which is mostly a la carte (they also served pizzas and a little taco bar here)

I've been to the Barcelo Maya Palace in Riviera Maya a few times, that place is amazing. The PV barcelo is not a horrible hotel, it's just not luxury the way it's advertised

We are returning to PV again this Thanksgiving so it'll be 1 year between our visits there

Let me know if I can help with anything else !

Edited: 10:31 am, October 21, 2012
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,041 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

sabapearl : we have stayed at this resort several times and never found that much fault with it, it is somewhat out of the way which is nice if you are looking for a quite relaxing vacation, I will agree that there is not much for kids activities and resorts in PV are hard to compare with the newer properties in Cancun or Riviera Maya unless you are vacationing in Nuevo. We will be returning this thanksgiving to PV for our 29th year, there are plenty of restaurants and things to do outside of the resort... Keep positive!

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,041 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

Well you can cross Le Bistro off your list, I just learned that they are closed and up for sale.

Tigard, Oregon
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

Thank you JNSGraphic!! I'm excited to go and can't wait for the delicious food!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
605 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

Lidia have they fixed the beach yet? There was zero beach 5 years ago.

10. Re: Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 19, 2014