We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Stockton, California
3 posts
Save Topic
Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

Hi. I hope you can shed some light on what is a confusing mess on the internet. I'm going to Puerto Vallarta with my girlfriend and her teen age kids - one boy 18 and a girl 16 - and am trying to find where to stay that is close to everything. We like to eat, hear music, lay on the beach and read and stuff like that. It'd be really nice to be able to just walk to lots of different places but I don't know if that's really possible. The girls want to shop, of course and they will spend hours doing that, I'm sure. I heard it's a good place for that. Do they have anywhere guys can hang out while the girls do that? Haven't been to Puerto Vallarta before but I've been places in Mexico like Cancum and Tijuana. Can you suggest anything?

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

You don't say what kind of budget you are on but check out the Buenaventura, within easy walking distance of town, and close to everything. You can do AI or EP plan there.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

Do you want all iclusive, or no plan?

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

Take a look at Playa los arcos.close to everything

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

Welcome to TA !

A few questions:

1) Time of year you want to visit?

2) Approximate lodging budget?

3) All inclusive or not? (note that most AIs are north of town and not walking distance to shopping, dining, or a great selection of spots for a guy to relax and watch sports while enjoying a cold beverage like you will close to town or on the south side).

Puerto Vallarta has between 900 and 1000 restaurants, so you definitely won't go hungry.

A few more details will help us make suggestions that might meet your need

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,027 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

Puerto Vallarta is a perfect walking town and shopping is great. On every street there is somewhere for you to hang out. Some shops even provide a chair. It is also possible to as you say...... stay that is close to everything and walk there, just depends on the answers to the questions being asked.

Stockton, California
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. We are planning on late February and stay into early March, probably up to eight days. I don't know about this AI thing, that's all inclusive, right? That sounds kind of stupid expensive but if not, I'm open minded. Really I think it's fun to walk around and find places to drink and eat but not if it's going to be 25 or 30 bucks a head.

You asked about budget, I'm planning no more than 175 or so per night for a place to stay and then whatever it takes to eat and drink well but not too well. They have buses and taxi's right? To get to different sides of the city?

Does that help? Thanks so much

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

Here are some prices for AI (3 meals daily, all drinks, snacks, non motorized watersports and other things depending on the hotel may be included) and non AI. No particular order. The prices include all taxes and fees and are per room for 7 nights.

Tropicana (2 star on the south side inc. breakfast only) $499.80

Plaza Pelicanos (3 star, AI across the street from the beach, but use the beach club with snacks and drinks) $777

Buenaventura (3 1/s star non AI) $1136.45 (with AI) $1526

Friendly Vallarta or Canto del Sol (3 1/2 - 4 star in the hotel zone on the beach and AI) $1316

The prices go up from there, so that should give you a good starting point.

Enjoy:)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

Do you want a condo? Do all four of you plan on staying in a single. Do you need a seperate bedroom or two single rooms or what? Time is getting short if you want something, you better get it soon or the good places for low prices will all be gone.

"Funman"

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

This opens the ever-present can of worms here. Some prefer AI in the hotel zone or Nuevo.I think a two bedroom condo would be perfect for your group. I love the south side-Vista del Sol comes to mind. It is perfect for walking! Sea Monkey is right downstairs and shopping is steps away-or you can dine and shop from your beach chairs. There are plenty of places for women to shop and guys to hang out. LOL! My DH has been wanting to host a "women shop, guys drink beer" day.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice on where to stay, eat and play

I agree with SpotCat with Vista del Sol with 1 or 2 bedrooms and also the place next door is Plaza Mar with 1 or 2 bedrooms, Here is a link to a person that can book Plaza Mar. http://www.puerto-vallarta-rentals.com/

if you are interested in them.

"Funman"