We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fresno, California
13 posts
Save Topic
Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

40 something SGM visiting PV and have number of preguntas and seeking recommendations. Seeking leisurely, non-athletic activities. Libraries, museums, coffee, locals. Conversational Spanish capable.

Flight: US to GDL to PVR, 4am-11am layover GDL, suggestions?

Lodging: Villas Mediterraneas, activities and relative proximity?

Mosquitoes? I'm well regarded by mosquitoes and am sure word will reach the southern neighbors about my arrival.

Those are my immediate concerns, any help towards these ends would be appreciated!

Toronto
Level Contributor
141 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

The area is lots of fun, with lots of things to do. Dee's coffee, across from San Marino hotel not too far from yours is a good starting point. Lots and lots of eating places, cafes and bars around.There are boat trips which might interest you, so check them out or pm me. You will have a lot of fun in PV.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

Not many mossies around lately and they do like me. I do put some repellent on my ankles, local stuff Autan works well.

Check out the Marine (Naval) Museum just next to the Los Arcos amphitheater.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

If libraries and museums are among your interests, then perhaps art is as well? You might consider the Art Walk, which begins October 31. We've done it a couple times and enjoy it. It's on Wednesdays, 6 - 10.

http://www.vallartaartwalk.com/menu.html

Riviera Nayarit...
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,671 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

Thanks for your first post on the TripAdvisor!

Did you mean 7 hours from the time you leave your home airport in CA to get to PV, including the layover at GDL? If so, keep in mind that you will have to go through Immigration and Customs at GDL, so you won't have much time to leave the airport and do any sightseeing.

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

around the southside just walking up and down the streets--you will see many interesting places to stop and relax. a page in the sun has books, sells coffee is one that comes to mind.

if you venture further inland you will see some neighborhoods--neat.

also just walking around centro, visiting the church malecon. i understand on tuesday mornings you can take a walking tour along the malecon and learn about the sculptures.

have a blast

Fresno, California
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

Great Suggestions Thanks!

My layover in GDL is 7hrs, landing at 4am. i was hoping for a breakfast spot not too far from the airport. or where i can wile away my time.

Will their be more mosquitoes in the latter part of October?

What can I expect around Dia De Los Muertos?

Thanks!

Washington
Level Contributor
335 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

I'm prone to mosquitos, but I've never noticed a problem at all. I've stayed on the more 'jungled' hillside and close to the beach, and never had a problem. If you do, there are plenty of pharmacies to sell bug spray. So you're covered, literally.

I'm coming early Nov. My experience is it's typically slower and more mellow. Which I love, as you're not fighting the people on the streets to just walk down the sidewalk. Hit the Malecon at night. Great people watching. Enjoy the beach. Hit the Central Market in old town a few times. Lots of great local food.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,779 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

Soundlysane, are you looking for a breakfast spot near the GDL airport, or PVR? Your post has me a bit confused.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

I believe she's stuck at GDL for 7 hrs and is looking for a nice breakfast spot or a spot to wile away the time...

We've never flow to/through Guadalajara, how is that area for visiting?

Sorry to piggyback ss!

Fresno, California
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting PV for 1st time, Oct 27 - Nov 3..., general ????

Visiting PVR, yet have a layover in GDL before PVR arrival.

. WIll land in GDL at 4am and depart GDL for PVR at 11:30am.

What can I find near the GDL for breakfast or is the airport fine for breakfast?