We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoke free resort?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Smoke free resort?

I just read an article that says the Melia is now a smoke free property. That would be great as smoking is one of my biggest pet peeves (that and the towel on chair game). Both my daughter and I have asthma so this would be a big draw for me to book there!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,902 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoke free resort?

Recent law in Mexico is no smoking allowed indoors. This would be rooms and restaurants. Most resorts still allow smoking on beach, around pool and the grounds in open air areas.

Maybe someone who has been at Melia recently can confirm their policy.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoke free resort?

I recently phoned their reservation line and asked about their smoking policy due to the fact we have several smokers in our group that's headed to the PV Melia soon.

She said the policy was that smoking was not allowed indoors, outdoors there are areas for people to smoke. She also said she wasn't working from the PV hotel and that indeed they may have their own rules so take that for what it's worth. I know the smokers with us are considerate about others and don't light up everywhere and anywhere.

We stayed at Dreams in 2010, back then it was the same rules, no smoking indoors including the hotel rooms, balconies and outdoor areas smoking was allowed.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoke free resort?

I was just at a show with the Melia rep from PV and they made no mention of being smoke free. I think you would be hard pressed to find a smoke free resort (other than rooms, restaurants or other indoor areas). I have seen resorts that have put no smoking in some outdoor areas, but quite frankly, I have never seen it enforced. I think this is one of those things you just have to deal with.

PS: Ihave also seen 5 star resorts that say the rooms onthat floor are non smoking and when asked, will just give you an ash tray anyway. None of these resorts were in PV, all in the Mayan that I am referring to, but still mexico.

Edited: 5:24 pm, August 18, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta
Mayan Palace Puerto...
1,030 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
13,391 posts
565 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoke free resort?

I just came back from Melia a few weeks ago....the restaurants were no smoking even the outdoor one...I did notice some folks smoking but outside and never really smelt it or such ( former smoker here). Almost positive there were ashtrays in the room though since I no longer smoke I did not pay to much attention...pretty much for the most part smoking is way down all over...some places even outside no smoking...enforcement of the law is very sporatic....

The no smoking law has been in effect for a few years now here in Mx. for any closed n areas..like many laws here it is being interpreted differently in different places...

I will say I did not find it to be a bother at Melia and I did see people smoking just not sure where though was outside...

The towel game is played very heavily at the Melia though so be forewarned...

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,983 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoke free resort?

This isn´t about the Melia, but we were just at the Palladium Royal Suites and there were tons of rooms with the symbol for "Smoking ok" sign still there.

We requested a non-smoking room and it was sweet smelling. They had the usual warning, if you smoke you will be charged a $250 reclamation fee.

Get a non-smoking room and you´ll be fine. So much is outdoors in Mexico so that as long as your room is ok, you´ll be fine.

Edited: 11:21 pm, August 18, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoke free resort?

I've been to many resorts that were non smoking and all you had to do was ask for an ashtray and it was giveN. We always call it non smoking if they remembered to take the ashtray out. For my personal experience this is no different in PVR, HUX or CUN, Always the same, non smoking if there is no ashtray, but smoking if you ask for one and this is on 20 plus trips to resorts and AI's.

And I can say for certain I had a wedding at the Palladium in Punta Mita this spring and they never enforced the no smoking in the no smoking rooms. Just a heads up;

Mentioned in this post
Ordaz
Ordaz
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoke free resort?

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's the notice I had found but there was no date on the page so not sure if it's new or old and just not enforced: MELIÁ PUERTO VALLARTA A 100% SMOKE-FREE ENVIRONMENT: Meliá Puerto Vallarta as part of its commitment to sustainable development provides to its guests and associates with a smoke-free environment. Smoking is not permitted in any location inside the hotel or on the grounds, a $200.00 USD cleaning fee will be charged to any guest who violates the smoking policy. To make it more convenient for visitors who smoke, we have two assigned areas: Motor Lobby and Public Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoke free resort?

My husband and I are non smokers. We have found that in Mexico with all the open air lobbies, restaurants, bars. Open sliding glass doors in rooms that the smoking issue is not much of a problem. You can usually find a spot outside away from a smoker.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,555 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoke free resort?

Non-Smoking hotel rooms in PV = asking housekeeping to take the ashtrays away, or using them for your loose change.

The laws state you can't smoke indoors, but as noted there is so much open air building in the majority of resorts you really don't notice it unless you have an inconsiderate smoker sitting next to you.

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoke free resort?

The Lindo Mar has announced that it does not allow smoking at all.

Mentioned in this post
Lindo Mar Resort
Lindo Mar Resort
281 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico