We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Language Courses

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Spanish Language Courses

My wife and I are moving to PV full time on September 1. We would like to enroll in spanish language school or courses two or three days a week. Any suggestions or recomondations on a good school?

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Language Courses

Might I suggest you post on the 'All Vallarta' forum - you'll find locals to help -

http://todopuertovallarta.yuku.com/

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Language Courses

Thanks I will give that a try

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Language Courses

PVMac007 ... that site is operated by "bzy1", one of our Destination Experts here on the TA Puerto Vallarta Forum. She, and others there, will/should be more than willing to help.

Good wishes.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,616 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Language Courses

I´d recommend starting at the Spanish School of Vallarta. If you want an idea of the approach they use, google "Warren Hardy" . He is based in San Miguel. Very good, organized method with materials.. Good teacher. My husband and I took several courses there and found it very helpful.

spanishschoolvallarta.com/AboutPuertoVallart…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Language Courses

Agree with Libby, regarding Spanish School Vallarta being an excellent place to start. I've been taking the program off-and-on for over two years and find it to be well-designed for adult learners. I took another program in Puerto Vallarta several years ago and it was nowhere near as effective (having been designed for young college kids who already knew several languages).

Spanish School Vallarta is made up of four levels, each three weeks long, three days a week. There is homework but having every other day off will give you time to complete your homework and systematically develop your skills. Everyone in your class will be (generally) at the same level. It's not one of those schools where new people come in every Monday. The class stays together for the full three weeks.

The teacher is very caring and the classes are small enough so you can develop friendships with your fellow students.

The school is located near the middle of the Hotel Zone so is easily walkable from around the area of Canto del Sol to Villa del Palmar. The Versalles bus stops within a few feet. Also, the school is air-conditioned (which some are not) --- making learning in the warmer months much more pleasant.

I can highly recommend this program as a good basic foundation with several tools to help you learn. Of course, the more you use it, the more you'll learn and retain but it's structured in a way to ease the learning process. Hope you get a chance to try it.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Language Courses

Thanks so much for the input, greatly appreciated. I am heading down to PV for a few days on the 10th and will drop by the Spanish School and check into it further and will likely pre register for Sept. classes while I am there. Thanks again.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Language Courses

I sent you a PM with more information about the school.

Make sure to read the calendar and schedule on the website we gave you. Since the school is run by Melchor and Martha (who are outstanding teachers with many references, licensed to teach the Warren Hardy System), they are only there when class in session.

There is no administrator so it's difficult to "drop-by" as, when they are there, they are teaching so it would be difficult to stop by and interrupt classes.

The school is a small (air-conditioned) room in a colonia. This is not a fancy school (such as the one I went to in downtown PV in 2007 which was a joke --- no A/C and a non-workable program).

The best way to reach Spanish School Vallarta is to write them, off the website. Secondarily, to call. Additionally, the calendar for the classes is firm. As long as there are two/three students, they will teach.

Hope the program works for you. As I said in the PM to you, feel free to write me for more information.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Language Courses

As part of the process of learning Spanish, beside the Spanish school, it will be good to go to places where you can listen speak the residents of Puerto Vallarta - the authentic residents and inhabitants of the puerto- communicate with them - they have their accent, as we have in the north of Mexico, and the Peninsula Yucatan and the accent of Oaxaca and Chiapas. If you not understand them at first, be pacient, repetition is the key to learn, Read Spanish newspapers, listen and watch Mexican TV, buy an English Spanish dicitionary , make you vocabulary and every day conquest a new Spanish word and the ultimate resource is the facial and corporal language. The residents of Puerto Vallarta will appreciate, admire and respect your effort to communicat with them.

9. Re: Spanish Language Courses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:46 pm, July 09, 2013