We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter in Puerto Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Easter in Puerto Vallarta

We are booked from April 4-18 and after I booked I have been doing some reasearch with respect to the amount of people inPV at this time. I knew there would be alot of people there on Good Friday and that weekend but I did not think that there would be that many people after this time.

I saw a picture of the beach and it is wall to wall people. I am panicking a bit now. Even getting to the grocery store on the 5th it looks like it may be a problem.

I would appreciate if someone could let me know if they think it is that crowded for the week before and one week after Easter. Thanks

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter in Puerto Vallarta

Semana Santa (holy week)!!

We have been in Mexico many times over Easter (not PV) and the actual weekend is VERY busy, particularly at any public beaches, restaurants, etc. Mostly we have seen nationals with their families having the long weekend to celebrate. It is very exciting...by far not a deterrent ...particularly if you LOVE Mexico like us. By Monday, everywhere (in our experience) completely changes. The crowds disappear and everything returns to normal. Again, we have not experience Easter in PV but other pacific resort towns.

But don't worry! Expect parades, celebrations, family, song & love. Before you know it, you will get quiet again and then maybe miss the excitement :)

Have fun!

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter in Puerto Vallarta

Going to the grocery store won't be a problem. And not every beach will be lined wall to wall with people, just the more popular ones like Los Muertos right in town. Yes it is more crowded in town for that two week period, but nothiing that would spoil a vacation.

suze

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter in Puerto Vallarta

IIRC, vacationing over Easter does generate a lot of negative reviews from non-Mexicans. Hotels are full to capacity, families traveling naturally means lots of kids around, etc. People aren't prepared for the situation, or in some cases even if prepared, are overwhelmed!

The beginning of your trip it will be VERY busy in Vallarta, and every other beach town. Grocery stores ARE quite busy, and there is a big increase in the amount of traffic. All beaches will be much busier than usual - busy beaches such as Los Muertos will be wall to wall, and beaches which are uusually very empty will be busy. Restaurants, not so much.

The crowds do start dying down a few days after Easter and by the time you leave you'll be wondering where everyone has gone! So enjoy the sights and sounds of Easter weekend, then relax and enjoy the rest of your trip.

canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter in Puerto Vallarta

We arrive on the first which is the Sunday before Good Friday so what you are saying it shouldn't be too busy until the week end? Also, curious as to how much busier Vallarta Adventure tours would be in that week preceding and following Easter Sunday would it be a better idea to book tours say before or after the Easter week-end or would it really matter. I am talking tours during the week not the actual week-end. Thank you

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter in Puerto Vallarta

It will be busy both weeks, the one before busier than the one after. Tours will not necessarily be busy though.

Prince George...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter in Puerto Vallarta

This is our 5th trip to puerto Vallarta and our 1st for Easter. Can't wait. My husbands birthday lands on Easter Sunday this year :-)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter in Puerto Vallarta

Thanks for all your replies we have booked our first week in Sayulita so we will be there at easter then the remaining two weeks in PV

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter in Puerto Vallarta

Sayulita will most likely be very crowded as well. As I mentioned, ALL beach areas are a prime destination for Easter travel for Mexicans. Enjoy it!

If you plan on doing grocery shopping, see if you can do it on the way from the airport to Sayulita to save yourself an extra trip. Traffic is very heavy around Easter.

Northville, Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter in Puerto Vallarta

I would like to see parades and festivals for Easter in PV. How can I find out where to find them?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter in Puerto Vallarta

Now I'm intrigued about the parades too. Are there celebrations on the Malecon?

Mentioned in this post
Malecon
Malecon
567 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico