We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report March 2006

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Level Contributor
960 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report March 2006

We came back from a quick very last minute trip to Puerto Vallarta March 3 - 6, 2006. We left Friday not knowing exactly where we were staying. Anyway, I have been to PV only once before and stayed at Fiesta Americana and did the all inclusive thing with a couple of tours. It was nice, but not how I like to travel. I am a non all inclusive person normally as I love to explore, so this is what we did this time.

Friday, got in rented a car and decided to avoid the hotel zone. Went downtown trying to stay at Posada de Roger but they were full. I would go back and try again though. We stayed at Hotel Torre de Oro which was a great base camp for us, 1 block from the Los Muertos beach and close to everything. We are always exploring so don't like to stay in our rooms or at our hotel much.

Saturday we went to the south side and went to Gemelas beach which was beautiful and quiet. You have to walk down a lot of stairs, but we loved this beach. It was small and intimate and the water was very green. We drove around the south side and checked out numerous things. Got back and decided to hit the waves at Los Muertos beach. These waves were HUGE! Not many people swimming, but my husband and teenager were in there for hours. After this we went and ate at a great place downtown (names escape me!) and wandered around the boardwalk. Very fun, lots of great things to see.

Sunday we went and visited the Catholic church and wandered around the downtown area. I loved it there, very good vibes. We then drove to El Eden, supposed to be the place where the movie Predator is filmed. You drive up a long way (or people were going up on horses)and arrive at the end where El Eden is and also where a canopy tour line was available. We did not get to do this because of kids but will try next trip. El Eden was $1 to get in but if you want a table it costs $10 or $15 I can't remember. It was fine as we had brought lunch like many other people, but there is a restaurant there to eat. The water is shallow and cold and you can slide down the rocks where the water is flowing. Fun for smaller kids. At the bottom of the hill is a tequila tasting place where I saw people doing tours. Not for me, my shot days are over!

After this we went to Mismaloya beach, very nice, but a little crowded. The water is calm there and there is a lot do do and eat. Many boats there offering snorkeling or whatever and little shops around. Nice place. We went back to Gemelas beach again and relaxed there before returning to our hotel. We again went driving around up in the hills to check out other places to stay and to see the beautiful sights. We did the downtown thing again and hit Los Muertos beach again. We definetly went for the water as you can see (cold in MN!).

Anyway, I just wanted to say I love PV. We had just returned from Negril and the vibe is so much more nice and calm in PV. We love the Riveria Maya area and Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and PV for all different reasons. Next trip will be Ixtapa!

We will be back when we have more time to spend. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask otherwise you could check out our pictures at community.webshots.com/user/lisajeannec

Most are of my family, but give some views of the area.

Thanks to those who gave me suggestions for our trip from trip advisor. Greatly appreciated.

oregon
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report March 2006

Hello, thank you for sharing.

We leave for Nuevo Vallarta this week, after reading many reviews on this site about rental cars we were just about to cancel our reservation. We to love to explore and were getting a car to go North and South only, not for in PV because of the crowded streets. So in your opinion did you find the driving to be not a huge deal or trouble?