We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

travelagentcentral.com/puerto-vallarta/study…

Sersol

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

Thanks for posting this link! I hope everyone with questions has a chance to read it! We should make this a sticky at the top.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

Thank you Sersol, for posting that. Really good information. Hope it helps.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

It's a study paid for by the PV Tourist Board. I've no doubt that the conclusions are substantially true but, seriously folks, what did you expect it to say?!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

Thanks a lot Steve. Really classy.

For those who don´t know, Sersol is a Mexican who has no vested whatsoever in pushing Puerto Vallarta safety. They vacation here and in lots of other places in Mexico. He knows Mexico, a whole lot better than 99% of the posters on TA let me tell you.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,493 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

Thanks sersol...

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,827 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

I understand reading it and taking that into account, however I suppose if the report didn't come out on the positive side the tourist board could have chosen to keep it under wraps.

I also think the company that did the report has an important reputation to protect, so it seems reasonable to assume they wouldn't falsify a report.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

To clarify - I meant no disrespect to Sersol who merely posted the report (he didn't write it). It is a fact of life that reports paid for by a vested interest tend to give results beneficial to that interest (whether justified or not). I think the countless accounts from visitors to PV on here (who have no vested interest) are actually worth more than the report. Just my opinion.

TX
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

I don't think there can any disputing the "bottom line" of the study ...

>>>>Overall the study found that visitors to the destination feel safe and continue to visit Puerto Vallarta numerous times through their lifetime and that the destination’s support services are well above the average standards and dedicated to serving the visiting public.<<<<

Quite true!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,996 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

I tend to agree with Kansas on this one, as well as Steve.

Yes - it's very good news, and confirms what many of us here have been saying to people for a very long time. It's a positive step (hopefully) in the right direction to turn back the tide of some of this negative and false publicity generated by what I can only call an extremely lazy and bored media.

Kansas raises a very valid point. The company that did the study does have a vested interest in keeping their language and results neutral sounding, even though the ultimate conclusion is a positive. They have a pretty stellar global reputation for these kinds of studies, and I for one am pleased that PV Tourism hired someone of this calibre to do it rather than some hack...or worse, ignoring the issue altogether and hoping it just went away of its own accord.

So Steve has a valid point in saying that it's nice for it to be positive because it benefits PV (and Mexico), but if the report had not been positive, would we have ever seen it? Probably not...so it's important not to treat this study like the gospel. This is good - first hand accounts are better.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

If it helps bring one more person to PV, then it's a good thing. I feel that the same kind of travelers that believe "surface" reports posted in the negative press may pay attention to the "surface" type of report that this is (IMHO). So I choose not to focus on the "paid" aspect of it; rather to agree that I still find PV a very safe place to visit and a place that I plan to return to again and again.