We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Camionera

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Central Camionera

Can anyone tell me which bus to take from downtown P.V to the Central Camionera, and where to get it? (We're coming from Conchas Chinas, will take the bus from there to Insurgentes.)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,340 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Camionera

I've never stopped at the main bus station near the airport but frequently take the Ixtapa city bus, to the airport and the Marina.

I believe I have seen (in addition to "aeropuerto" and "penal" on the window, and IXTAPA on the main banner above) "central camionera" listed on some of those windows.

The good news is that the IXTAPA buses come frequently downtown, headed north, so you could ask the driver if you don't see it on the window. It's a short walk off the main drag, to camionera centro, so assume you know you'd have a short walk.

There may be other buses but that's the only one I'm familiar with.

Hope that helps.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Camionera

You'll have to take the local "Boca" bus into the south side, before getting your Ixtapa bus. Hope you're not planing a lot of luggage, 'cos the local busses are not set up for that.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Camionera

Another bus that leaves from El Centro, a blue bus, is "Mojoneras/Hoteles". It goes the same way as the Ixtapa buses mentioned above. Also "Central Camionera" isn´t necessarily on the windshield.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,340 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Camionera

That's true so I hope the OP knows where to get off for the bus station as they won't just stop there. I also take the Mojoneras buses but the Ixtapa ones come much more frequently.

Also, just a tip --- the newer buses (or the ones that have the destinations printed in white decal characters on the front window --- as opposed to the ones where the destinations are hand-painted in white, with words taking up more space) will tend to have a more complete list of stops along the route (more likely to have things like "camionera central" on the window since the words are smaller with the decals).

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central Camionera

Good point (both to frequency and you need to know where to get off). We were waiting there yesterday so we decided to pay attention to buses and tons of buses went by, not one single one had "Central Camionera" mentioned anywhere. Lots of people were getting off at the corner, i.e., the "Central Camionera stop", but, of course, that might not be the case. Wouldn´t want to go all the way to Ixtapa or Mojoneras :) and miss the long distance bus that people were trying to take from the Central Camionera.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,340 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central Camionera

This map might help a bit, in knowing to get off right before the big Corona plant:

http://vallartainfo.com/marina.html

Had another idea though. I frequently take the Las Palmas bus up in that direction (since the first pick-up stop is in 5 de diciembre on Brasil and Honduras near where I stay) and I'm pretty sure those buses do say "Camionera Central" on the front windshield and it's pretty easy to get a seat near the driver if you get on at the very first stop. Or, since the bus stops there for 5 or 6 minutes, it's easy to talk to the driver.

Sitting near (or talking to) the driver should keep people from going all the way to Las Palmas because there are two different types of tickets on that bus. You actually have to tell the driver where you're going as they charge you more to go all the way to Las Palmas. Regular stops in town are still only 6.5 pesos. It's a blue bus like the others but it doesn't run the main Centro route (ie: it doesn't go beyond that pick-up corner).

Same situation as the Mojoneras bus though --- they don't come as often as the Ixtapa bus.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central Camionera

If you have lots of luggage it is not exactly a short walk and the road is VERY bumpy. Plus luggage on buses is not a good idea if it is bigger than a gym bag.

The Central Camionera buses will go to the bus station, if you can find one- they are not frequent.

You get off right before the Corona Distribution Center (Global Gas is on that corner) and then walk inland- it is about four or five blocks door to door. Not bad but not easy with luggage.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central Camionera

Thank you all for such detailed info- it's so great to have people willing to help out. We ended up taking the Mojoneras bus, mentioned to the driver that we wanted the Camionera Central, and just to be sure, we asked another passenger exactly where to get off (when it looked like we were getting close), and someone actually pushed el timbre for us when it was time. We got off at the entrance to the Camionera. This is not the first time we've gotten help from other passengers. The people of Puerto Vallarta are wonderful. We'll miss this great city!

Edited: 9:23 am, July 02, 2011
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Central Camionera

Stez: So glad you arrived at the Central Camionera succcessfully.

And thank you so much for reporting back. I´m sure it will be very helpful for others in the future.

Best wishes.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Central Camionera

stez, I fully agree that other passengers on the bus can be a great help when you're not quite sure where to get off the bus. I've had other passengers help me immensely on several bus trips where I knew the direction to go in, just not exactly where the best place to get off would be. And I've made note that the Mojaneres bus goes right by or near the central bus station, as I took a taxi the last time I went there. Thanks for the feedback.