We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raicilla

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Topic
Raicilla

Has the legally sold versions improved over the last several years or is it still best to get some from a local still?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raicilla

i knew the answer to that but forgot it soon after the last time I drank that stuff ;)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raicilla

The legal version is just too weak for me, I only drink the High Test stuff. If you can't light it, it's not the good stuff.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
455 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raicilla

I was going to, but I was scared it was in the same class as everclear, and that Id wake up the next day under a boat somewhere.

mpls., MN
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Raicilla

Where do you get the "high test" suff?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,944 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Raicilla

Best I've found is in El Tuito. We found some last October, had heard about the place through friends and our erstwhile guides sussed out the location for us while in town.

It was about 130 pesos for a litre, and according to the friend I brought it home for, very smooth. Smelled like paint thinner to me but he's enjoying it very much!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Raicilla

El Tuito is a reliable place to find the High Test (La Punta), but, you never know, I got two litres at my corner store across the street from me. Also, check with Chuy at Moro Paraíso.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Raicilla

I've tasted and purchased some excellent raicilla over the years, I find it hard to believe the legal stuff could be worth a darn.

The absolute smoothest I've ever tasted was at Cuale Paraiso , a nice little restaurant by the river, next to the Paso Ancho bridge.

It was our anniversary, after lunch and many beverages, the owner brought out a small pitcher of La Punta. Boy were we in fine shape for our next stop Que?Pasa :-0

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Raicilla

JR.... What's the chances of running into some La Punta during your Feb 15th Cantina Crawl?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Raicilla

I could bring a flask, remind me closer to the date. :)

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Raicilla

Will do JR. Thanks :)

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta