We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the real Mexico?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento,Ca
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where is the real Mexico?

This January I will be visiting PV with my family and I would like my kids to experience the real mexico. Any suggestions of where to spend a day away from the Resorts. Where do the locals go? Is Guadalajara too far for a day trip?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the real Mexico?

No need to go that far, take a bus to El Pitillal or Paso Ancho, nary a tourist to be seen. :)

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the real Mexico?

Visit Rincon de Guyabitos....about 30 miles north of PV..you can catch a bus or grab a vantaxi. Great little town with a nice beach, several good hotels, great food and friendly smiles. Very Mexican!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the real Mexico?

Good idea Guayabitos! You need to take a bus from the bus station but they're frequent and cheap. And if you need to stay over there are tons and tons of very reasonable accommodations.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the real Mexico?

I have travelled all over Mexico, and I disagree with Rincon de Guayabitos as a place to see the "real Mexico." It's totally geared towards tourists (Mexican and others). It's all hotels basically along a main street. It's a nice place, sure, but not to give you a sense of Mexico. Most of the people who work in Rincon don't actually live there. The neighboring town La Penita is more authentic, but still not would I call "real Mexico" because of all the tourists. If you can fork out the cash for a day trip to Guadalajara (by air, too long by bus), it would be much better. Guadalajara is where so many things we consider Mexican come from (ie. mariachis, tequila...from neighboring town of that name, etc..) And the food is very good.

And a big plus to going to Guadalajara is that it's got AMAZING shopping in the nearby suburbs of Tlaquepaque and Tonola, the best in Mexico I would venture to say.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the real Mexico?

Yes, but they're Mexican tourists from all over Mexico. I think that's what we meant. It's like the Wasaga Beach of Mexico and not too far away from Puerto Vallarta. Also, if you drive around the area to Lo de Marcos, etc., you'll see more laid back Mexican towns.

San Pancho, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the real Mexico?

Visit San Pancho -- just 30 miles north of PV. While the gringos have definitely found it - and the top notch restaurants reflect that - it is still a wonderful little fishing village with about 1,200 people all going about their lives as members of a working village. The beach is awesome and clean -- but swimming in the ocean is not recommended unless you are a strong swimmer - big undertow -- probably is the reason our beach is so beautiful and unspoiled by littering tourists.

Whereever you go --- have fun

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
969 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the real Mexico?

As a general rule beach towns in close proximity to Vallarta are tourist towns to one extent or the other.I might recommend that you go south of Vallarta by bus or by one of the private guides available and visit

some of the towns that are inland and more rural. One suggestion would be ElTuito located in the mountains about one hour south

of Vallarta.Its a beautiful drive past Mismaloya and Las Juntas Veranos up through the pine forests and into the highland where you can see enormous cactus fields and visit some mom and pop teqila factories too. Just an hour down the highway is the town of Tomatlan a real cowboy town on a spectacular river in the heart of some of the richest farmland in Mexico.There is a mountain lake

nearby that is about 8,000 acres and has some of the best bass fishing in Mexico

and boats are available with guides-there are no buses there so you will need a driver-guide to visit the lake.There is regular bus service to both ElTuito and Tomatlan from the central bus station near the airport.

8. Re: Where is the real Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:04 pm, December 26, 2005
oak park, IL
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the real Mexico?

If your kids are able to handle a water taxi, take one from Boca de Tomatlan to Yelapa. The ride offers nice scenery and is inexpensive, and the kids get a boat ride and maybe a whale, ray or dolphin sighting. You can take a bus to Boca, which can be alot of fun and inexpensive. Only accessable by hoof or fin, Yelapa is very laid back. They have nice hiking trails to town, to waterfalls and to other villages. You can rent horses and do the same. Several good restaurants on the beach (that offer chairs to relax on w/ any purchase) and in town. Para-sailing, snorkeling and kayaking as well, but it's only touristy when a tourist boat drops off a crowd. That's when you want to hike. There are alot of artists and alot of nature. Pie ladies on the beach are an added treat. You've been given good advice of real places to visit, I like a little bit of everything and no cars!!! Can't wait to visit Yelapa again, soon. Very soon. I'm on call at work... Merry Christmas!!!

10. Re: Where is the real Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:30 pm, January 19, 2006
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta