We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
95 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

My husband and I were in PV last week, had a wonderful time!

BUT, we came home with tons of bites on our lower legs/ankle areas. We usually wore shorts with sandals while out and about. We went to Chico's Paradise one day, in the jungle area but we didn't hike through any brush or anything. Only went in the ocean up to our ankles or so. The bites were there but didn't start to itch like crazy until we got home, so there was a delayed reaction of some sort. Does anyone know what kind of bites these might be? They certainly are not like the regular mosquito bites we get around here. Slightly red, pointy raised bump with a littl red pinhole, where apparently the bite was at. My husband and I have no clue as to where they came from, and we didn't see one mosquito flying around at any time. All we ever saw were some flies.

Any ideas or anyone else who experienced this, please respond!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
722 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

You got the infamous attack of the sand fleas. Little obnoxious guys who live on the beaches and attack the ankle, foot, lower leg portion. Try a salve or moisturizing cream. They will heal but best to apply a lotion and do not scratch as that makes the bumps irritated and slower to heal.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

Also called no-see-ums, 'cause you can't see 'em, very small.

Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
95 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

Oh Man!

They itch like a $&*#!

I knew they weren't mosquitoes, we didn't see a single one out there.

Thanks for the responses.

Meanwhile, I'll try not to itch....how long will it last??

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

This is the EXACT experience my "other half" had after returning from the Bahamas a couple of weeks ago. I'm usually the one with all the bites (the mosquitos prefer my sweet blood to his sour blood). But he suddenly developed a whole slew of red bumps on his legs. We had done a short easy hike on a nature trail and also walked along the beach after exiting the "jungle" just a couple of days prior to our return home.

You described it to the letter -- the delay, their appearance, the itching. He kept trying different sprays and lotions. They finally started to fade after about a week (maybe a couple of days longer).

Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
95 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

I took 2 benadryl last night before going to bed and they didn't itch at all last night or this morning. I don't like the sleepy effects benadryl gives, so I won't take any today as I need to function (!) but wil take some again tonite when I get home, seems to help, in case anyone else out there needs some relief!

Usually I can feel mosquitoes bouncing off my skin, getting ready to land and bite, but absolutely nothing this time, which is why I was wondering what in the world it was.

So it will last about a week then, huh? Guess I'll live! Just glad I don't need to wear a dress and show my bumpy legs anytime soon!

;O)

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

Just a hint for those going on a hot Vacation....the pretty flowers that the maids keep in you room sometimes have those bugs in them a lot of the time. So don't keep them on your bed or near your suit case. We always kept them on the balcony or in the bathroom.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

Sorry but 'no-see-ums' don't live in flowers, they live on the beach and around wet areas.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

Buy the Benadryl spray...it still enters your system, but not as bad as the pills...also cut lime slices and wipe across the bites...will stop the itching, dries and is not sticky. No drugs that way! Caladryl or Calamine lotion or spray also works.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

Oh sorry...we were told by the people at the hotel that's what they were. I could be wrong...but there are little bugs that come in your room from the flowers they must be called something else.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very Itchy Bug Bites from Puerto Vallarta-What are they??

If you spray your legs and ankles with repellent will that keep the sand fleas off?