We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

Please read my review when it is posted.

Apple Vacations has this rated as a 6 Apple. I'd give it a 4 Apple rating.

Brides to be should be aware this is NO WAY a luxury, upscale property.

Debbie. I was disappointed.

Hockeytown USA
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

I'm going there in 3 weeks. Stayed at the Fiesta Americana last year and loved it. Most reviews are positive on Dreams, so you are making me nervous as my wife is somewhat picky. What was specifically wrong? Do you travel to Mexico often to have other Mexican hotels to compare this to?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

Bruce- hi, We are are 49 yr. old couple. Have been to Krystal in Pt. Vallarta about 4 yrs. ago. But have been to Mex. Cancun, and Playa Del carmen area 10-12 times, and on 5 different cruises. Usually use Apple or Funjet and agree with their ratings. I am no way a "Travel Snob" or too picky.

The problem was I trusted this to be a 6 Apple resort. I have stayed in other 6 Apples resorts that put this place to shame.

But, it is no means a Dump. If you expect a 4 Apple place, than you won't be disappointed.

Problems;

There is no end to the little problems that will annoy you. The lock on our door did not lock, our shower curtain had 4 rings missing, it was half way on the floor- yet they saw no problem renting it to us in that condition.

Pool furniture & mats- easily 10 years old and it shows.

Food-extremely inconsistent. Mexican restaurant the best.

The other ala-carts restaurants were slow. I ordered shrimp dinner- it was served burnt & cold.

Buffet restaurant-get there when it opens or there will be empty serving trays that stay empty. Only has 1 person making omlets for 350 rooms. My husband refused to stand in line for the fresh made omlets because of this.

The rooms have paper thin walls. You can hear everything your neighbors do in the shower. The main hiway runs about 150 yrds. behind the guest rooms. You hear street noise from buses and trucks going up the hill

all night long. Kept both of us awake, and he can sleep thru anything usually.

It is an old, remodeled resort. THe new owners must have done the BARE MINIMUM to get by to get this rating and it is obvious.

It is no way a LUXURY, UPSCALE place. It is Average. All of the "Little things" that make a place special are missing here.

The private beach and location are great. It's the saving grace of this place. But I feel it's not up to par.

Hockeytown USA
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

I was at the Krystal in PV 11 years ago and checked out after 1 night - we thought it was a total dump. Moved to the Sheraton then and liked it, except the beach was no good.

We are a 44 year old couple that travel a lot, and like the nice things, however we lower our expectations a bit in Mexico if we are trying to get a somewhat "authentic" experience. But it HAS to be clean & not smell or my wife will kick my butt! :) Like I said before - we stayed at Fiesta Americana last year and loved it, but between Apple & this board, Dreams sounds nicer - plus it was $1000 cheaper for the week.

I guess I want you to at least reassure me that the place is clean & not smelly???

Thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

Bruce- too funny-

Dreams is very clean and not smelly. Our room and all the public areas were very clean.

Beach is even swept, raked daily.

I did not see anything that I would counsider unclean anywhere on the property.

Hockeytown USA
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

Thanks Debbie - I will look for your full report when it gets posted & will put my own out there the 2nd week of January.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

Bruce- the best restaurant and bar is called The Patio, the mexican restaurant. It had the best food, service and drinks. We didn't find it until the last night. I wish I had eaten there every night. It serves great shrimp.

D&K
Washington State
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

Debbie-My husband and I are going to Dreams in 30 days!! Could you tell me what kind of room you booked? We will be celebrating his 50th birthday on the 2nd day after we arrive and now I'm a little nervous!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

Bruce-please don't let me scare you off from Dreams. My husband thought the place was fine and he said he would go back. My point is that the 6 Apple rating was undeserved.

Overall, the resort is very nice.

The last place we stayed at was the Riu Palace in Playa Del Carmen, which is rated a 6 Apple. And there just is no way Dreams in Pt. Vallarta is the same quality, but yet they're rated the same.

You will enjoy Dreams, I was just expecting it to be luxury when all I got was "very nice"

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

to D&K- Hi. We were in the old tower, first floor.

Nice rooms overall. Very clean, very spacious. Big bathroom. Equal to a Holiday Inn quality (which I consider nice)

Bed did not have a headboard. It is pushed up against the wall. The area is painted blue where the headboard would be. Had a sheer little canopy over the bed with shells on ropes for decoration over the bed.

In room safe was nice big size. My BIG purse fit in it with room to spare.

Very thin walls, noise from neighbors and road kept us awake.

Also had a big "sitting area" couch, round coffee table, desk and chair.

Big closet,

TV, in room little ice box. chest of drawers for clothes.

Hockeytown USA
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Dreams, it is over-rated and over priced...

Debbie - Thanks again. I'm not worried - as long as it's clean & doesn't have the musty smell some older places have we'll be all right. Like I told my wife - 6 weeks after we get home from PV we go on a cruise - 10 weeks later to the Bellagio in Vegas - a summer trip to New York City, then back to PV next January again - if we don't love it we aren't deprived, and we can go back to the Fiesta in 07.