We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

senior frogs or carlos o brians??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
senior frogs or carlos o brians??

which is better, i have eaten at planet hollywood and carlos and charlies in acapulco but i didn't eat out last time i was in P.V.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: senior frogs or carlos o brians??

Neither of these places are known for food, more for alcohol and partying. There are many far better places to eat in Vallarta.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Buffalo
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: senior frogs or carlos o brians??

I hear Pipi's is a must as far as restaurants in PV. I would love to know what the local experts think about it.

Mentioned in this post
Pipi's
Pipi's
2,425 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: senior frogs or carlos o brians??

Senor Frogs and Carlos O'Brian's are both run by Grupo Andersons chain, so you'll find very similar atmosphere and food at both. Focused around fun, but the food was OK. Carlos & Charlie's is also part of the chain, so if you've eaten there, you pretty well know what to expect.

I like Pipis - I don't know if it's a must, though - there are lots of other good places too.

Mentioned in this post
Pipi's
Pipi's
2,425 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: senior frogs or carlos o brians??

Well, as a local expert, I've only been there once.

It was too noisy and full of tourist (some of whom were even louder than the Mariachis).

Food is OK, but we have many restaurants with better food.

I prefer to go to places that don't rely on tourists for business and were I can hear myself think :)

It's a good Hollywood version of a Mexican Restaurant, but not for me, sorry :(

Beausejour, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: senior frogs or carlos o brians??

We stayed at Pelicanos 3 years ago Very nice place. Couldn't get in there so staying at Qulaton Club. Same days as you. Myself Laurie and my cousin Tracey. And you?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,886 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: senior frogs or carlos o brians??

lin7604

the places you mention are clubs and not known for their food. Been to PV 20 times over the years and never went to any of them to eat. As others mentioned, I love Pipi's - giant margaritas, fresh gaucamole made at your table, fajitas are the speciality but the seafood is also great. Yes it can be noisey at times with thw mariachis and the waiters setting fire to some of the dishes before they serve them but it's still great. It's a good time place but not where you would go for a romantic dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Pipi's
Pipi's
2,425 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: senior frogs or carlos o brians??

thanks everyone for putting your opinion in. I think we will try pipi's it sound fun. We didn't want a romantic dinner but not a party bar atmosphere either. We have friends leaving a day before us that are staying at the palladium and we wanted to meet up with for dinner one night.

lau42mb: We stayed at the las palmas last time there but that was way back in 98 for spring break. We ( my husband and myself ) are meeting up with friends from Hamelton there that we met last year in Cuba. MAybe i'll meet you on the plane, who knows!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: senior frogs or carlos o brians??

lau42mb: what can you tell me about plaza pelicano's????

Beausejour, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: senior frogs or carlos o brians??

Hi lin7604 We stayed at pelicanos year before hurricane then year after what a difference. The sierra madre tour was great. A big group went we had a blast. Nice about pelicanos is you can go to sister hotels then I don't know about now?? We leave on Jan 21 staying at Qualton club, Pelicanos was filled up. Maybe we will see you around. My self (laurie) and cousin Tracey. Hubbys are staying home 9 weeks of hunting is good enough holiday for him. Laurie

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: senior frogs or carlos o brians??

Lin,

I highly suggest Barcelona Tapas! Fun for couples, romantic, awesome food and service, sunset or fireworks views and after, you can walk down the hill and go to La Bodeguita del Medio for mojitos and dance or listen to the Cuban Salsa band.

This is one night I can guarantee you would all enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona Tapas
Barcelona Tapas
1,771 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
La Bodeguita del Medio
La Bodeguita del Medio
798 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico