We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Growing Tomatoes and Lemons

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
washington
Level Contributor
649 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Growing Tomatoes and Lemons

Has anyone had any experience with this? My husband loves lemons but not limes. He loves to grow tomatoes.

Can I bring seeds?

Comox BC
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Growing Tomatoes and Lemons

This is not 'knowledge' per se Kath -- simply suspicions.

I think I had a conversation last year, with JR maybe, about the Lemon thing and why they don't grow lemons in Mex but only Limes. Kat just told me absolutely no fruits/veggies can be brot into Mex. I suspect that would include the seeds though given there size, I would think there is a fair chance of getting them thru customs without discovery. That said, how does that affect the ecolocgy of Mex? I don't know but I would want to before I start (possibly) negatively affecting the eco balance or whatever. I'm sure they grow a kajillion tomatoes there so can't see tomato seeds being a problem. Then again why wouldn't one just buy them at Central Market??

I do understand your DH's pref's as I like lemons better than limes also. :-)

Hasta Holly

2 More Sleeps

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Growing Tomatoes and Lemons

You might want to ask this on Vallarta Scene. Freeeye is a botanist and can answer this type of question. He occasionally posts here, but it's better to post on his site. It has excellent information for anyone looking to spend extended time in Puerto Vallarta.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,996 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Growing Tomatoes and Lemons

I agree with spotcat - for day to day queries about life in Vallarta, this is not your forum.

Go to All Vallarta or Vallarta Scene. They'll have your living in PV day to day stuff there.

Edited: 1:35 am, February 25, 2010
Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Growing Tomatoes and Lemons

Tomtoes will grow but it usually is not cold enough at night. We grew some italian tomatoes that are better for warmer temps but they didn't last long. Lemons are harder but I have a Meyer lemon tree I just started so I hope it survives. You can buy lemons at Costco and sometimes other grocery stores. Seeds are illegal but I have brought some hidden in a book but now you can buy most seeds here.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Growing Tomatoes and Lemons

Hi Billkath: The best place to ask questions about living in Vallarta is on Vallarta Scene and allvallarta.com. More people who live in Vallarta full and part-time post there. Trip Advisor is supposed to be for tourist-related inquiries. Good luck. LIb

Whoops. I see this was already said, but I didn't want to withdraw the post and look as if it had been something wierd. I just didn't want to see TA close the thread.

Edited: 8:57 am, February 25, 2010
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Growing Tomatoes and Lemons

We grew tomatoes at my friend Steve's ranch, freeeye also planted some exotic plants there.

We got some pretty good results in the winter, before the bugs moved in. Won't work in the summer, too much rain.

Lemons are being grown in Mexico but not down here in hot and humid conditions. Freeeye has some Kafir Lime trees at his place.

You won't have trouble bringing seeds in, it the fresh fruit that may be carrying diseases or bugs.